The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
April 2001 Issue - 22 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-4
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 5-8
Snow Jobs... Giant Spies... Hungry Consultants... Jilted Lobbyists... Broken Bridges......
- Gene Blues, pp. 9-11
Is the Patent Office prepared to deal with the genomic revolution?
- Who's Who, pp. 12-15
- Memo of the Month, p. 16
- AIDS Incorporated, pp. 17-21
How federal AIDS money ended up funding psychic hotlines, Neiman Marcus shopping trips,...
- Tidbits & Outrages, p. 22
- Social Security, pp. 23-26
The liberal case for partial privatization.
- Theocracy in America, pp. 27-32
What Gentile life in Mormon Utah can teach us about church and state.
- Beyond The Beltway, pp. 33-34
- Rashomon in Mississippi, pp. 35-37
How Americans developed separate and unequal memories of race.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 38
- Taking Charge, pp. 39-43
Why we need to fund education federally and how we can do it.
- The Myth of Military Poverty, pp. 44-48
Most servicemembers aren't poor. The ones who are need fiscal boot camp.
- Soul Mates, pp. 49-51
Black America's love affair with Bill Clinton.
[+] Panning Gold (Review) , p. 52
Before the Storm, by Rick Perlstein
- Before the Storm by Rick Perlstein
[+] This'll Be The Year (Review) , p. 53
Red Sox Century, by Glenn Stout and Richard A. Johnson #2
- Red Sox Century by Glenn Stout and Richard A. Johnson #2
[+] The Artful Dodgers (2 Reviews) , pp. 54-55
The Cheating of America, by Charles Lewis
- The Cheating of America by Charles Lewis
- If Americans Really Understood the Income Tax by John O. Fox
[+] Uncharted Waters (Review) , p. 56
Inside Charter Schools, by Bruce Fuller
- Inside Charter Schools by Bruce Fuller
[+] Math Sheik (Review) , p. 57
Radical Equations, by Robert P. Moses and Charles E. Cobb
- Radical Equations by Robert P. Moses and Charles E. Cobb
[+] Trading Places (Review) , pp. 58-62
The New Geography, by Joel Kotkin
- The New Geography by Joel Kotkin
- Cover design