The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
January 2000 Issue - 19 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-8
Cyanide in the Fridge... The 36-Hour Stretch... Naomi and Jocelyn... Tips for Terrorist...
- Don't Be Down On The Farm, pp. 9-13
What we can do to preserve a national treasure.
- Tidbits & Outrages, p. 14
- Beyond Band-Aids, pp. 15-21
Why incremental reform can't solve our health-care crisis.
- Reserves and Guard: A More Selective Service, pp. 22-24
Excerpted from Adam Hochschild's 1971 article on what it was really like to be in the R...
- Memo of the Month, p. 25
- Medicine Wheel, pp. 26-27
A federal program that actually works.
- Who's Who, pp. 28-30
- Presidential Aptitude Test, pp. 31-37
What you really need to know to pick a president.
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 38-45
On Political Books
[+] Robert Kennedy, Good andBad (Review) , pp. 46-47
The scum and glory of later Camelot.
- In Love With Night by Ronald Steel
[+] Getting the Scoop (Review) , pp. 48-50
Memories from journalism's golden age.
- Peace, War, and Politics by Jack Anderson and Daryl Gibson
[+] The Great War (Review) , p. 51
The Pity of War, by Niall Ferguson
- The Pity of War by Niall Ferguson
[+] Wannabe (Review) , p. 52
On the Rez, by Ian Frazier
- On the Rez by Ian Frazier
[+] Staying at Home (Review) , p. 53
Nonvoters, by Jack C. Doppelt and Ellen Shearer
- Nonvoters by Jack C. Doppelt and Ellen Shearer
[+] Anti-Cynic (Review) , p. 54
For Common Things, by Jedediah Purdy
- For Common Things by Jedediah Purdy
[+] Uncoordinated (Review) , pp. 55-58
Flawed by Design, by Amy B. Zegart
- Flawed by Design by Amy B. Zegart
- Cover design, caricatures