The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
September 1999 Issue - 19 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-7
Marxist Medicine... Bankrupt in Bushland... Permanent Temps... Two Sleepy Pilots... Lit...
- What Lou Gerstner Could Teach Bill Clinton, pp. 8-13
Lessons for government from IBM's dramatic turnaround.
- Who's Who, pp. 14-15
- What's Hot At APSA, pp. 16-19
The latest research on voting, popular opinion, and welfare reform.
- The Stiff Man Has A Spine, pp. 20-25
Gore's record shows he's got what it takes to be president.
- Shooting The Whistle-blower, pp. 26-31
How Congress is sabotaging an effort to stop oil companies from cheating taxpayers.
- Memo of the Month, p. 32
- Bitter Pill, pp. 33-39
Rezulin may cause acute liver failure, but the FDA still won't take it off the market.
- The Broken Wall, pp. 40-46
How newspapers are selling their credibility to advertisers.
On Political Books
[+] The First Lady of the New Deal (Review) , pp. 47-48
How Eleanor Roosevelt discovered herself through politics.
- Eleanor Roosevelt: Volume Two, 1933-1938 by Blanche Wiesen Cook
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 49
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 50
[+] First at the Times (Review) , p. 51
A Woman of the Times, by Marilyn S. Greenwald
- A Woman of the Times by Marilyn S. Greenwald
[+] Internet Crisis? (Review) , p. 52
Money, Greed, and Risk, by Charles R. Morris
- Money, Greed, and Risk by Charles R. Morris
[+] Easy Pickings (Review) , p. 53
Spy Hunter, by Robert W. Hunter and Lynn Dean Hunter
- Spy Hunter by Robert W. Hunter and Lynn Dean Hunter
[+] Before Bill Gates (Review) , pp. 54-55
ENIAC, by Scott McCartney
- ENIAC by Scott McCartney
[+] The Old Lion (Review) , pp. 56-58
Rostenkowski, by Richard E. Cohen
- Rostenkowski by Richard E. Cohen
- Cover Art, Photo