The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
June 1999 Issue - 22 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-9
A Possible President... Celebrity Journalism... Credit Card Companies Crow... The Toile...
- Rough Trade, pp. 10-13
How currency traders profited from the Asian meltdown.
- Who's Who, pp. 14-15
- The Wrong Answer to Littleton, pp. 16-19
A few teen criminals belong in prison, but most do not.
- Inside the Globe, pp. 20-23
A tabloid reporter who taped his bosses tells all.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 24
- The Man Behind Ventura, pp. 25-28
Electing an improbable candidate without money or mudslinging.
- Memo of the Month, p. 29
- Big Brother, pp. 30-33
How HMOs stole our right to medical privacy.
- The Scandal of Special Ed, pp. 34-38
It wastes money and hurts the poor
On Political Books
[+] History vs. Loyalty (Review) , pp. 39-41
Stephanopoulos' important but untimely memoir.
- All Too Human by George Stephanopoulos
[+] Chicago's Conscience (Review) , pp. 42-43
Mike Royko was the voice of the common man for half a century.
- One More Time by Mike Royko
[+] Madam Secretary (Review) , pp. 44-45
How Madeleine Albright's past shapes American foreign policy.
- Madeleine Albright by Michael Dobbs
[+] The Peacemaker (Review) , pp. 46-48
How George Mitchell helped the Irish put "the troubles" behind them.
- Making Peace by George J. Mitchell
[+] Understanding Globalization (Review) , p. 49
The Lexus and the Olive Tree, by Thomas L. Friedman
- The Lexus and the Olive Tree by Thomas L. Friedman
[+] Nonlethal Arms (Review) , p. 50
Future War, by John B. Alexander
- Future War by John B. Alexander
[+] Media Magnate (Review) , p. 51
Legacy, by Christopher Ogden
- Legacy by Christopher Ogden
[+] Robber Banker (Review) , p. 52
Morgan: American Financier, by Jean Strouse
- Morgan: American Financier by Jean Strouse
[+] The Perception Gap (Review) , p. 53
Misreading the Public, by I.M. Destler and Steven Kull
- Misreading the Public by I.M. Destler and Steven Kull
[+] Man of the Times (Review) , pp. 54-55
The Times of My Life, by Max Frankel
- The Times of My Life by Max Frankel
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 56-58