The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
October 1998 Issue - 22 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-8
The Folly of Impeachment... Lee's Miserables Shortchanging Students... The Booze Boys ....
- A New Prescription, pp. 9-11
Investing in substance-abuse treatment would take a big bite out of crime.
- Love Potion No. 9.1, pp. 12-13
Viagra is just the latest weapon in Americans' battle with Mother Nature.
- Who's Who, pp. 14-16
- Achilles Heel, pp. 17-18
Why the Capitol is still an easy target for terrorism.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 19
- Sex, Lies, & Presidents, pp. 20-21
Clinton's not the first president to shade the truth.
- Republicans at the Trough, pp. 22-25
In the states, as in Washington, Republicans are just as fond of pork as Democrats.
- Monicagate, pp. 26-27
Which Side Are You On?
- Memo of the Month, pp. 28-29
- Potty Politics, pp. 30-31
Doesn't the federal government have anything better to worry about?
On Political Books
[+] The Good Citizen (Review) , pp. 32-33
How our ideals of citizenship are changing.
- The Good Citizen by Michael Schudson
[+] The Limits of the Law (Review) , pp. 34-36
Arthur Liman's career sheds light on scandals from Iran-Contra to Monicagate.
- Lawyer by Arthur L. Liman and Peter Israel
[+] Worlds Apart (Review) , pp. 37-38
At the heart of our racial problems is the failure of integration.
- Someone Else's House by Tamar Jacoby
[+] Red Army Blues (Review) , pp. 39-40
The untold story of the Russian Army's disintegration.
- The Collapse of the Soviet Military by William E. Odom
[+] Lost Solutions (Review) , pp. 41-44
What we've forgotten about what worked in the War on Drugs
- The Fix by Michael Massing
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 45-47
[+] Internal Dissent (Review) , p. 48
To End A War, by Richard Holbrooke
- To End A War by Richard Holbrooke
[+] Us vs. Them (Review) , pp. 49-50
Strangers Among Us, by Roberto Suro
- Strangers Among Us by Roberto Suro
[+] L.A. Exposed (Review) , pp. 51-54
Ecology of Fear, by Mike Davis
- Ecology of Fear by Mike Davis
- Cover Art