The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
March 1997 Issue - 24 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-7
Psychic Spooks.. The Breaking Point Task Force... Bubble-Gum Mechanics.. Tom Cruise at ...
- The DOE's Dirty Laundry, pp. 8-10
Is a technologically unqualified DOE sabotaging its own nuclear cleanup efforts?
- Memo of the Month, p. 11
- It's Not As Bad As You Think It Is, pp. 12-13
Misguided handwringing about our society's decline distracts us from the real crises.
- The Right to Default, pp. 14-18
When did bankruptcy become an accepted fixture of everyday life?
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 19
- How C-SPAN is Getting Screwed, pp. 20-22
Greed is the enemy.
- The Myth of the Two-Front War, pp. 23-25
Over-preparing for a two-front war that will almost certainly never occur is costing us...
- Who's Who, pp. 26-27
- Will Charlie Keating Ride Again?, pp. 28-31
Congress is once again looking at banking deregulation. Will it ignore the lessons of t...
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 32-35
Art & Politics
- Take Two Prozac and Don't Call Me in the Morning, pp. 36-43
When it comes to treating people's mental health, one fad does not fit all.
On Political Books
[+] Do We All Have to Get Along? (Review) , pp. 44-45
A prescription for an efficient democracy overlooks what makes America great.
- A House Divided by Mark Gerzon
[+] Oxy Moron (Review) , pp. 46-48
A look inside Armand Hammer's world reveals an empire built on bluster.
- Dossier: The Secret History of Armand Hammer by Edward Jay Epstein
[+] Technology vs. Training (Review) , pp. 49-50
In an age of technology worship, a trained fighting force is an afterthought.
- Digital Soldiers by James F. Dunnigan
[+] Is Microsoft a City on a Hill? (Review) , pp. 51-53
Does today's tech superpower deserve the abuse--or does it need our sympathy?
- The Microsoft Way by Randall E. Stross
[+] Just the Facts? (Review) , p. 54
The Schools We Need, by E.D. Hirsch, Jr.
- The Schools We Need by E.D. Hirsch, Jr.
[+] Pro-choicers Against Adoption? (Review) , pp. 55-56
Beyond Pro-Life and Pro-Choice, by Kathy Rudy
- Beyond Pro-Life and Pro-Choice by Kathy Rudy
[+] Wake Up and Smell the Anger (Review) , p. 57
The Coming Race War in America, by Carl T. Rowan
- The Coming Race War in America by Carl T. Rowan
[+] U.S. Social Policy: Underachieving and Dyslexic (Review) , p. 58
The State of the Nation, by Derek Curtis Bok
- The State of the Nation by Derek Curtis Bok
[+] Religious Disobedience (Review) , p. 59
Disarmed and Dangerous, by Murray Polner and Jim O'Grady
- Disarmed and Dangerous by Murray Polner and Jim O'Grady
- Political Puzzle, pp. 60-62
- Cover Art