The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
January 1997 Issue - 23 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-8
Barry Brings Home the Duck... Come Back, Dolly ... Primal Gere... Hooray, for Cheap Chic
Art & Politics
- The Ghost of Tom Joad, pp. 9-10
While Washington tries to deny reality, Bruce Springsteen faces it.
- Betting It All on the Market, pp. 11-16
Why America is wrong to wager its future on Wall Street.
- Of Inhuman Bondage, pp. 17-21
The bond market has policymakers in its grip.
- Teachers' Pets, pp. 22-23
Forget Capitol Hill--it's the state legislatures that are doing business with teachers'...
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 24-25
- Muzzling a Watchdog, pp. 26-28
What happened when the General Accounting Office tried to take on a politically wired f...
- Memo of the Month, p. 29
- When Good Guys Lie, pp. 30-35
Misleading the public is no way to make the world a better place.
- Who's Who, pp. 36-38
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 39
- Working 5 to 9, pp. 40-42
All work and no play doesn't just make you dull--it can also drive you crazy.
- Political Puzzle, p. 43
On Political Books
[+] No More Martinis (Review) , pp. 44-47
Modern spies face a different world.
- A Spy For All Seasons by Duane R. Clarridge
[+] Gurumania (Review) , pp. 48-49
Management consultants make a lot of money, but do they make us better managers?
- The Witch Doctors by John Micklethwait and Adrian Wooldridge
[+] Slick Willie (Review) , pp. 50-51
Willie Brown plays the game hard--but to what end?
- Willie Brown by James D. Richardson#2
[+] Slouching Towards Gomorrah (Review) , pp. 52-54
The world according to Bork bears little semblance to reality.
- Slouching Towards Gomorrah by Robert H. Bork
[+] The Prince of Spin (Review) , p. 55
Bad Boy, by John Joseph Brady
- Bad Boy by John Joseph Brady
[+] Wealth Maintenance Organizations (Review) , pp. 55-56
Health Against Wealth, by George Anders
- Health Against Wealth by George Anders
[+] Running on Empty (Review) , p. 57
Running Scared, by Anthony King
- Running Scared by Anthony King
[+] Up From Arkansas (Review) , pp. 58-62
Joycelyn Elders, M.D., by Joycelyn Elders and David Chanoff
- Joycelyn Elders, M.D. by Joycelyn Elders and David Chanoff
- Cover Art