The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
April 1996 Issue - 22 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-7
Patty's Revenge... Pushing the Polls ... Blowing the Whistle... and Paying the Price......
- Steve Forbes, Joe Camel, and the ACLU, pp. 8-12
Government isn't the only threat to our civil liberties. So is the power of money.
- The Art of Flattery, pp. 13-14
Letters from a CIA director to a president.
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 15
Reinventing American Capitalism
- Reinventing the Corporation, pp. 16-23
The public gives corporations their right to exist and asks very little in return. It d...
- The Big Job Boosters That Everyone's Missing, pp. 24-27
What Buchanan, Reich, Forbes, and Kennedy don't understand about how to create greater ...
- Why Higher Taxes (on the Wealthy) Won't Slow Growth, pp. 28-30
The proof is in the history.
- Memo of the Month, p. 31
- An End to the Free Lunch?, pp. 32-33
Not quite. That lobbying reform passed by Congress last year turns out to have more hol...
- Who's Who, pp. 34-35
- Is the President a Waffler?, pp. 36-39
In some cases, yes. But part of the reason is that he shuns the easy answers of both ri...
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 40-41
- Reclaiming Our Cities, Block by Block, pp. 42-44
How a Little Rock program offers hope for countering urban decay.
On Political Books
[+] In Defense of a Defense of Government (Review) , pp. 45-47
A proposal for smart, activist public institutions and the question: How do we get ther...
- In Defense of Government by Jacob Weisberg
[+] Milosevic's Wars (2 Reviews) , pp. 48-51
The canard about the Balkan conflict is that it springs from deep, ethnic hatred. In fa...
- Yugoslavia: Death of a Nation by Laura Silber and Allan Little
- Love Thy Neighbor by Peter Maass
[+] Constitutional Buchananism (Review) , pp. 52-53
Daniel Lazare sees a mess, and proposes absolute majority rule as a way to clean it up.
- The Frozen Republic by Daniel Lazare
[+] Political Booknotes (4 Reviews) , p. 54
[+] Review Character Above All, by Robert A. Wilson (Review) , p. 54
- Character Above All by Robert A. Wilson
[+] Review Integrity, by Stephen L. Carter (Review) , p. 55
- Integrity by Stephen L. Carter
[+] Review Above the Law, by David Burnham (Review) , pp. 56-58
- Above the Law by David Burnham
[+] Review Closed Doors, Opportunities Lost, by John Yinger (Review) , p. 59
- Closed Doors, Opportunities Lost by John Yinger
- Political Puzzle, pp. 60-62