The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
October 1994 Issue - 21 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-8
White House tempers... golf's real hazards... Hollywood's sacred cows ... the political...
- Has the ACLU Lost Its Mind?, pp. 9-11
By taking on truly bizarre cases--from supporting tobacco companies to defending child ...
- The Five Dumbest Supreme Court Decisions, pp. 12-17
A stroll through the Brethren's Hall of Shame.
- Who's Who, pp. 18-19
- The Case Against the Military Academies, pp. 20-22
West Point, Annapolis, and the Air Force Academy produce officers who are no better tha...
- Memo of the Month, p. 23
- The World's Most Dangerous Yard Sale, pp. 24-28
How the U.S. government sold hardware and blueprints for a nuclear bomb to an Idaho use...
- Who's Calling the Shots at Fidelity?, pp. 29-34
What worries mutual fund managers should worry you. A look inside the high-pressure cul...
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 35
- Very Risky Business, pp. 36-40
If we don't watch out, a new kind of Wall Street gambling--exotic derivatives trading--...
On Political Books
[+] Gossip, Politics, and Power (Review) , pp. 41-45
From Walter Winchell and FDR to Liz Smith and Hillary Clinton, a cultural primer on how...
- Winchell by Neal Gabler
[+] Sex, Please, I'm British (Review) , pp. 46-49
An English politician's diary dishes about everything from Margaret Thatcher's shapely ...
- Mrs. Thatcher's Minister by Alan Clark
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 50
[+] To Have and To Spin (Review) , pp. 51-54
How Mary Matalin and James Carville are campaigning to be Washington's hottest celebrit...
- All's Fair by Mary Matalin, James Carville, and Peter Knobler
- Political Puzzle, p. 55
[+] Political Booknotes (4 Reviews) , p. 56
[+] Review Scarcity or Abundance?, by Norman Myers, Nancy... (Review) , p. 56
- Scarcity or Abundance? by Norman Myers, Nancy J. Myers, and Julian Simon
[+] Review Understanding American Economic Decline, by Mi... (Review) , p. 57
- Understanding American Economic Decline by Michael A. Bernstein and David E. Adler
[+] Review Who Guards the Guardians?, by The National Com... (Review) , pp. 58-59
- Who Guards the Guardians? by The National Committee for Responsible Philanthropy, ...
[+] Review Breakup, by Lansing Lamont (Review) , pp. 60-62
- Breakup by Lansing Lamont
- Cover illustration