The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
Show MoreShow AllFinding...Find More
March 1994 Issue - 20 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills
Charles Peters, pp. 4-9
The law seminar at the Kentucky Derby... the White House correspondents' masseuse... wh...
- Why It's Too Hard to Start a New Business
Jon Meacham, pp. 10-15
Got an entrepreneurial idea? Pray you hit the lottery, because the odds of getting mone...
- Who's Who, pp. 16-17
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 18
- Critical Lessons From the Health Reform Front
Editors, pp. 19-21
The Monthly offers concrete principles to give everyone, rich and poor, the same high q...
- What Hillary Could Learn From Canada and Germany
Susan FitzGerald and Mark Jaffe, pp. 22-30
For less money, they cover more people and they make people happier. So why not take a ...
- Annual Political Book Award, p. 31
- The Washington Monthly, 2019
Gregg Easterbrook, pp. 32-36
A contributing editor predicts what the Monthly's 50th anniversary issue will be like.
- Political Puzzle, p. 37
- The Real Leader of the Opposition
David Segal, pp. 38-42
Phil Gramm and the surly, say-what-it-takes Republicans.
- Memo of the Month, pp. 43-47
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 48
My Favorite Reform
- Give Everyone a Job
Mickey Kaus, pp. 49-50
"There are people who need work. There is work that needs doing. Why not pay the people...
- End Discrimination and Increase Productivity
Suzannah Lessard, p. 51
"When society accepts any group as it is and creates an environment in which that group...
- Build Single Room Occupancy Hotels
Jason DeParle, pp. 52-53
"The main goal is to get homeless people off the streets. But pensione-like hotels also...
On Political Books
[+] The Enemy Is Us (Review)
Phillip Longman, pp. 54-57
Everyone knows it's those damn special interests that bedevil efforts to rein in the fe...
- Demosclerosis by Jonathan Rauch
[+] Political Booknotes (2 Reviews) , p. 58
[+] Review Advertising and a Democratic Press, by C. Edwi... (Review)
Howard Kurtz, p. 58
- Advertising and a Democratic Press by C. Edwin Baker
[+] Review The Mad Among Us, by Gerald N. Grob (Review)
E. Fuller Torrey, pp. 59-62
- The Mad Among Us by Gerald N. Grob
- Cover Illustration