The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
January 1994 Issue - 16 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-9
Why banks love rubber checks... the C.I.A.'s Haitian S.I.N... the attack of the Bulgari...
- The Media's Rush to Judgment, pp. 10-15
Quick, facile pronouncements on Clinton, the Gulf War, and Japan dramatize a dangerous ...
- What Will Rogers Could Teach Rush Limbaugh, pp. 16-21
A voice of selflessness and consensus might sound out of place today, but without one, ...
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 22
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 23
- A House Divided, pp. 24-33
Why asking Congress to perform two often contradictory jobs--legislating and overseeing...
- Government Can Work, pp. 34-39
Where it got us before, and how to get it back on track.
- Who's Who, pp. 40-42
My Favorite Reform
- Make National Service Mandatory, pp. 43-44
"Isn't it time to acknowledge that democracy is worth briefly interrupting our lives for?"
- Curb Violence by Targeting Bullets, pp. 45-47
"There are already 200 million guns out there that are unaffected by gun control legisl...
- End FBI Background Checks and Peremptory Jury Strikes, pp. 48-49
"In both instances, we genuflect to an archaic ritual."
- Ban the Designated Hitter, pp. 50-52
"Like a lot of government programs, the designated hitter was born of good intentions t...
- Memo of the Month, p. 53
On Political Books
[+] The Press Ruined Presidential Campaigns (Review) , pp. 54-59
...And other dubious assumptions about the media's impact on politics.
- Out of Order by Thomas E. Patterson
- Political Puzzle, pp. 60-62