The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
November 1992 Issue - 23 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-3
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 4-9
Fifty-six nervous Republicans... your free haircut... Stanford's pricey perks... and ot...
- Gays in Arms, pp. 10-13
Can gays in the military work? In countries around the world, they already do.
- Who's Who, p. 14
- The Advertising Agency, pp. 15-17
How the CIA flouted the law using Madison Avenue techniques to arm-twist for the contras.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 18
- B.S. Economics, pp. 19-21
While cash-strapped universities cut teachers and departments, they're ignoring all tho...
- Split Decision, pp. 22-23
One quick way to prevent another Quayle: Let the voters choose the veep.
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 24
- Workers Stiffed, pp. 25-27
Workers' injury rates soar, and the government has never cared less.
- No Truth, No Consequences, pp. 28-31
Maybe Congress should try asking testifiers to tell the truth.
- Memo of the Month, p. 32
- See No Evil, Make No Policy, pp. 33-35
A former State Department insider reveals how his bosses ignored atrocities in Yugoslavia.
- The New Writers' Bloc, pp. 36-41
Their aim is true when it comes to capturing character. But why shouldn't Maureen Dowd ...
- Political Puzzle, p. 42
On Political Books
[+] Plains Talk (Review) , pp. 43-47
What Jimmy Carter's first bid for public office tells us about politics today.
- Turning Point by Jimmy Carter
[+] Wild Pitch (Review) , pp. 48-50
George Will strikes out against term limits.
- Restoration by George F. Will
[+] Eavesdroppings (Review) , pp. 51-53
The CIA has a sorry legacy. But we need it just the same.
- The Intelligence Game by James Rusbridger
[+] Political Booknotes (5 Reviews) , pp. 54-55
[+] Review Our Wildest Dreams, by Joline Godfrey (Review) , pp. 54-55
- Our Wildest Dreams by Joline Godfrey
[+] Review Guerrillas, by Jon Lee Anderson (Review) , p. 56
- Guerrillas by Jon Lee Anderson
[+] Review Making of a Drug-Free America, by Mathea Falco (Review) , p. 56
- Making of a Drug-Free America by Mathea Falco
[+] Review Dirty Politics, by Kathleen Hall Jamieson (Review) , pp. 57-59
- Dirty Politics by Kathleen Hall Jamieson
[+] Review The Moral Commonwealth, by Philip Selznick (Review) , pp. 60-62
- The Moral Commonwealth by Philip Selznick