The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
October 1991 Issue - 17 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-10
L.A. Sex... the Peters Post-Game Color Commentary... Ted Kennedy's retirement scam... t...
- Who's Who, p. 11
- Inherit the Mint, pp. 12-23
How Edward Bennett Williams made legal prostitution respectable.
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 24
- Empire of the Son, pp. 25-29
How George Bush rewrote the book on the imperial presidency.
- Memo of the Month, p. 30
- How Congress Won the War in the Gulf, pp. 31-37
It gave Schwarzkopf his secret weapon.
- Political Puzzle, p. 38
- Blind Data, pp. 39-42
Why the life's gone out of the government's vital statistics.
- Socialized Medicine Now--Without the Wait, pp. 43-49
So what if the Canadian health care system isn't perfect? Let's fix it--and bring it home.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 50
On Political Books
[+] Hoover Damned (Review) , pp. 51-54
Exposing the ultimate G-man--and finding the ultimate bureaucrat.
- J. Edgar Hoover: The Man and the Secrets by Curt Gentry
[+] Political Booknotes (4 Reviews) , p. 55
[+] Review Reflections of an Affirmative Action Baby, by ... (Review) , p. 55
- Reflections of an Affirmative Action Baby by Stephen L. Carter
[+] Review Three Blind Mice, by Ken Auletta (Review) , p. 56
- Three Blind Mice by Ken Auletta
[+] Review The Kingfish and His Realm, by William Ivy Hair (Review) , pp. 57-58
- The Kingfish and His Realm by William Ivy Hair
[+] Review Los Angeles: Capital of the Third World, by Da... (Review) , pp. 59-62
- Los Angeles: Capital of the Third World by David Rieff