The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
July 1990 Issue - 24 Articles
- Letters, pp. 4-7
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 8-11
The chancellor's secret cars... the wet bar association... the Watergate alumni reunion...
- Power Failure, pp. 12-20
Rural electric and telephone programs show that good government programs never die--the...
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 21
- The 100 Grand Illusion, pp. 22-28
The problem with the banks and thrifts that they still haven't fixed.
- Who's Who, p. 29
- No Ifs, Ands, or Butts, pp. 30-36
Canada showed how to beat the tobacco lobby. American antismoking groups, take note.
- The Worst City Government, p. 37
- Clean Up or Pay Up, pp. 38-41
Here's the solution to the college sports mess.
- Memo of the Month, p. 42
On Political Books: Special Summer Reading Issue
[+] Out to Launch (Review) , pp. 43-47
Sending men to Mars may sound like fun, but it doesn't make much sense.
- Mars Beckons by John Noble Wilford
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 48
[+] Advice and Dissent (Review) , pp. 49-50
What LBJ could have learned from Ike.
- How Presidents Test Reality by John P. Burke, Fred I. Greenstein, and Larry Berman, ...
- Political Puzzle, p. 51
[+] Political Booknotes (10 Reviews) , p. 52
[+] Review Perestroika for America, by George C. Lodge (Review) , p. 52
- Perestroika for America by George C. Lodge
[+] Review Seeing Through Movies, by Mark Crispin Miller (Review) , pp. 52-53
- Seeing Through Movies by Mark Crispin Miller
[+] Review The Wars of Watergate, by Stanley I. Kutler (Review) , p. 54
- The Wars of Watergate by Stanley I. Kutler
[+] Review Poor Richard's Legacy, by Peter Baida (Review) , p. 54
- Poor Richard's Legacy by Peter Baida
[+] Review Feeding the Beast, by Marilyn W. Thompson (Review) , p. 55
- Feeding the Beast by Marilyn W. Thompson
[+] Review Working for the Japanese, by Suzy Fucini and J... (Review) , p. 56
- Working for the Japanese by Suzy Fucini and Joseph J. Fucini
[+] Review Controlling the Sword, by Bruce Russett (Review) , p. 57
- Controlling the Sword by Bruce Russett
[+] Review War, Peace, and Victory, by Colin S. Gray (Review) , p. 58
- War, Peace, and Victory by Colin S. Gray
[+] Review Congressional Chronicles, by Anthony S. Pitch (Review) , p. 58
- Congressional Chronicles by Anthony S. Pitch
[+] Review Running Mates, by Ann Grimes (Review) , pp. 59-62
- Running Mates by Ann Grimes