The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
January 1990 Issue - 19 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-9
The Kissinger connection... America's House of Lords... the Playtex pay-off... and othe...
- Congress's Deconstruction Theory, p. 10
How Congress is beating the low cost of construction.
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 11-16
- Memo of the Month, p. 17
- The Forest Services's Catch-22, pp. 18-20
It's hard to see the forest when you've cut down all the trees.
- Who's Who, p. 21
Making the System Work
- File Before Reading, pp. 22-25
When the Inspector General speaks, nobody listens.
- The High Cost of Unaccountable Accounting, pp. 26-29
It's time to put the "independent" back in "independent audit."
- Not Just Read and Write, But Right and Wrong, pp. 30-35
Our schools need to teach values, too.
- Sentences That Make Sense, pp. 36-37
We've tried tough on crime. We've tried soft on crime. Let's try getting smart on crime.
- Restitution: Real Fine for Criminals, pp. 38-43
Time to bring back an old tool.
- The Worst City Government, pp. 44-49
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 50
On Political Books
[+] Commons Sense (Review) , pp. 51-54
Democrats, as well as Republicans, need to unhook themselves from the central state.
- CommonWealth: A Return to Citizen Politics by Harry C. Boyte
- Political Puzzle, p. 55
[+] Political Booknotes (3 Reviews) , p. 56
[+] Review Intifada, by Ze'ev Schiff and Ehud Ya'ari (Review) , p. 56
- Intifada by Ze'ev Schiff and Ehud Ya'ari
[+] Review Barbarians at the Gate, by Bryan Burrough and ... (Review) , pp. 57-58
- Barbarians at the Gate by Bryan Burrough and John Helyar
[+] Review Big Hoops, by Bill Reynolds (Review) , pp. 59-62
- Big Hoops by Bill Reynolds