The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
March 1989 Issue - 28 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-9
Surgeons on safari... the lawyer's hit man... and other odds and ends....
- The Navy We Need, pp. 10-16
And the one we got.
- The Worst City Government, p. 17
- The Impossible Life of a College President, pp. 18-22
You think it's a life of oak panels and big ideas. It's more like being a PAC fundraiser.
- Annual Book Award, pp. 23-24
- Memo of the Month, p. 25
The Gospel Reconsidered
- The Rich Don't Serve--So What?, pp. 26-27
The National Service Chain Gang.
- Gee, I Kind of Like Fiction, p. 28
What Halberstam could learn from Dostoevski.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 29
- Act II, Winning an Election, p. 30
Getting our act together and taking it on the road.
- Who's Who, p. 31
- What Charlie Peters Can Learn From Henry Kravis, pp. 32-33
A little merger mania never hurt anyone.
- What Charlie Peters Can Learn From Jerry Brown, pp. 34-35
The small-is-beautiful economy.
- The Ozone's Shot, The Oceans Stink, pp. 36-37
So what has the Monthly had to say?
- Group Therapy: The Answer to Merit Pay, p. 38
To each according to his ability? Naaah.
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 39-41
- The Screw-You Spirit, pp. 42-43
Tribalism and group antipathy.
- I've Tilted at Windmills, p. 44
And the windmills won.
- Watch What You Call Welfare, pp. 45-47
And don't abolish Social Security.
- Neoliberals in the Wilderness, p. 48
The Monthly in a conservative age.
- Political Puzzle, pp. 49-51
- Et Tu, Keisling?, pp. 52-54
The editor responds.
[+] Political Booknotes (4 Reviews) , pp. 55-56
[+] Review Somoza Falling, by Anthony Lake (Review) , pp. 55-56
- Somoza Falling by Anthony Lake
[+] Review Firefighters, by Dennis Smith (Review) , p. 57
- Firefighters by Dennis Smith
[+] Review City for Sale, by Jack Newfield and Wayne Barrett (Review) , pp. 57-58
- City for Sale by Jack Newfield and Wayne Barrett
[+] Review The Wise Men Know What Wicked Things Are Writt... (Review) , pp. 59-62
- The Wise Men Know What Wicked Things Are Written on the Sky by Russell Kirk