The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
January 1989 Issue - 20 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-9
Putting Kissinger in his place... the Eastern Media Conspiracy... the Reagan rule I lov...
- "Ma'am, What You Need Is a New, Improved Hoover", pp. 10-12
Instead of wasting time catching Soviet spies, William Webster's FBI went after the rea...
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 13-18
- And Why They Let Anyone Be An Informant, pp. 19-20
And we mean anyone.
- Revenge of the Nerds, pp. 21-24
The real problem with computer viruses isn't genius programmers, it's careless ones.
- The Start-Up Blues, pp. 25-29
You thought banks and venture capital firms help entrepreneurs launch their businesses....
- My Banker Wouldn't Back My Building, pp. 30-31
An entrepreneur's lament.
- Memo of the Month, p. 32
- The Worst City Government in America, pp. 33-36
When it comes to screwing the poor and feathering their nests, the District of Columbia...
- It's Not Just Washington, pp. 37-45
It's big cities all over the country.
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 46-47
- Who's Who, p. 48
On Political Books
[+] You Little Tort (Review) , pp. 49-53
We clog the courts with crazy liability cases while the real crooks get off.
- The Product Liability Mess by Richard Neely
- Political Puzzle, p. 54
[+] Political Booknotes (4 Reviews) , p. 55
[+] Review Day of Reckoning, by Benjamin M. Friedman (3 Reviews) , p. 55
- Day of Reckoning by Benjamin M. Friedman
- On Borrowed Time by Peter G. Peterson and Neil Howe
- Rendezvous With Reality by Murray Weidenbaum
[+] Review Countdown, by Frank Borman and Robert J. Serling (Review) , pp. 56-57
- Countdown by Frank Borman and Robert J. Serling
[+] Review Honest Graft, by Brooks Jackson (Review) , p. 58
- Honest Graft by Brooks Jackson
[+] Review Rainbow's End, by Steven P. Erie (Review) , pp. 59-62
- Rainbow's End by Steven P. Erie
- Cover photo