The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
April 1989 Issue - 20 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-11
The admirals' hidden golf course... the Hot Tempered Executive... Saab stories for the ...
- Have One for the Runway, pp. 12-16
How Transportation Department policies add new meaning to the word "red-eye."
- Who's Who, p. 17
- Where the Boys Are, pp. 18-20
How a well-intentioned civil rights law and a dose of chauvinism shoved women administr...
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 21
- Farm Workers Don't Have to be Poor, pp. 22-24
The bosses say higher wages would mean fewer jobs. Don't believe them.
- The Worst City Government, pp. 25-27
- Beyond the Legal Right, pp. 28-36
Why liberals and feminists don't like to talk about the morality of abortion.
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 37-38
- Memo of the Month, pp. 39-44
- Political Puzzle, p. 45
On Political Books
[+] What The Washington Post Could Learn from Sports Illustrated (Review) , pp. 46-50
(And vice versa.)
- A Season Inside by John Feinstein
[+] When they Forgot the Nuts and Bolts, Everybody Got Screwed (Review) , pp. 51-53
How one American company was killed by greed, incompetence, and Henry Kravis.
- When the Machine Stopped by Max Holland
[+] Let Them Eat Sushi (2 Reviews) , pp. 54-57
Forget Japan. The way to make America great again is to be more like us.
- Silent War by Ira C. Magaziner and Mark Patinkin
- More Like Us by James Fallows
[+] Political Booknotes (4 Reviews) , p. 58
[+] Review Loyalties: A Son's Memoir, by Carl Bernstein (Review) , p. 58
- Loyalties: A Son's Memoir by Carl Bernstein
[+] Review The Village of Waiting, by George Packer (Review) , p. 59
- The Village of Waiting by George Packer
[+] Review Yen!, by Daniel Burstein (Review) , p. 59
- Yen! by Daniel Burstein
[+] Review The Men from the Boys, by Ray Raphael (Review) , pp. 59-62
- The Men from the Boys by Ray Raphael
- Cover photo