The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
September 1988 Issue - 19 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-10
1,953 meals on Air Force One.... what John Lehman did right... Cory Aquino's unused bil...
- The Big Sleazy: Love Canal Ten Years Later, pp. 11-16
For the residents of Love Canal, it was bad enough dealing with 21,800 tons of toxic oo...
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 17
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 18
- Flint's Fight to the Finish, pp. 19-25
GM was trying to KO Honda and Toyota. It wound up in a courtroom with Flint and Saginaw.
- Memo of the Month, p. 26
- The African Killing Fields, pp. 27-36
You heard all about the Ethiopian famine. Here's the story that President Reagan, relie...
- Who's Who, p. 37
- Why Political Cartoonists Sell Out, pp. 38-42
In the race for national fame, they ignore what matters at home.
On Political Books
[+] The Committee That Couldn't Shoot Straight (Review) , pp. 43-49
The Iran-contra committee preened before the television lights, dished out immunity, le...
- Men of Zeal by William S. Cohen and George J. Mitchell
[+] South Toward Home (Review) , pp. 50-53
When southern writers flipped through family photo albums, it was like seeing race, cla...
- A World Unsuspected by Alex Harris
- Political Puzzle, p. 54
[+] Political Booknotes (5 Reviews) , pp. 55-56
[+] Review Why Presidents Succeed, by Dean Keith Simonton (Review) , pp. 55-56
- Why Presidents Succeed by Dean Keith Simonton
[+] Review Going Downtown, by Jack Broughton (Review) , p. 57
- Going Downtown by Jack Broughton
[+] Review The Trusteeship Presidency, by Charles O. Jones (Review) , p. 57
- The Trusteeship Presidency by Charles O. Jones
[+] Review Bifurcated Politics, by Byron E. Shafer (Review) , p. 58
- Bifurcated Politics by Byron E. Shafer
[+] Review Leadership in the Modern Presidency, by Fred I... (Review) , pp. 59-62
- Leadership in the Modern Presidency by Fred I. Greenstein
- Cover drawing