The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
February 1987 Issue - 19 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-10
Karl Marx's contributions to capitalism... Warren Burger's dirty laundry... practical p...
- Beware of Republicans Bearing Voting Rights Suits, pp. 11-15
How the Republicans are using the Voting Rights Act to carve out Republican election di...
- Memo of the Month, p. 16
- The First Chrysler Bail-out, pp. 17-22
The M-1 Tank.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 23
- Who's Who, p. 24
- What Did Noah Do With the Manure?, pp. 25-28
And other burning questions of Creation Science.
- The Story That Still Nags at Me, pp. 29-35
We were so eager to show Edmund Muskie's unstable side that we were used by Richard Nixon.
- Political Puzzle, p. 36
- Catastrophic Insurance for All, pp. 37-40
When we add layers of protection for the elderly, let's remember that even minor illnes...
- Tommy the Cork: The Secret World of Washington's First Modern Lobbyist, pp. 41-49
When Truman taped Tommy Corcoran, he gave history a unique look at the beginning of exe...
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 50
- The Freest Enterprise, pp. 51-54
Unbeholden to Wall Street, privately held companies can behave more responsibly.
On Political Books
[+] Pushiness We Can Respect (Review) , p. 55
Sam Donaldson's style is more than just entertaining.
- Hold On, Mr. President! by Sam Donaldson
[+] Lessons from the Fringe (2 Reviews) , pp. 56-58
What moderates can learn from Jesses Jackson and Helms.
- Hard Right: The Rise of Jesse Helms by Ernest B. Ferguson
- Thunder in America by Bob Faw and Nancy Skelton
[+] Political Booknotes (2 Reviews) , p. 59
[+] Review The Harvest of Sorrow, by Robert Conquest (Review) , p. 59
- The Harvest of Sorrow by Robert Conquest
[+] Review Power of Attorney, by Mark Stevens (Review) , pp. 59-62
- Power of Attorney by Mark Stevens
- Cover color