The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
May 1986 Issue - 18 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-11
The shrink who played the market... the rising cost of luxury... boycotting J. C. Penne...
- Who's Who, p. 12
- Better Red than Steinbrenner, pp. 13-19
Why fans should own their teams.
- Memo of the Month, p. 20
- The Wrong Way to Court Ethnics, pp. 21-26
Watch out, here comes another group to pander to.
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 27
- Hello Sweetheart, Get Me Mergers and Acquisitions: The Rise of Steven Rattner, pp. 28-41
When idealism goes out of fashion.
- Political Puzzle, p. 42
- Should We Worry About the Deficit?, pp. 43-44
One story says we're facing disaster, another says the coast is clear. Who's right?
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 45-46
The $19,000 Press Pass
- A Former Journalism School Dean Asks, Is It Worth It?, pp. 47-54
What's wrong with journalism school and what to do about it.
[+] Political Booknotes (6 Reviews) , p. 55
[+] Review Brothers in Arms, by William Broyles, Jr. (Review) , p. 55
- Brothers in Arms by William Broyles, Jr.
[+] Review Innovation, by Richard N. Foster (Review) , p. 56
- Innovation by Richard N. Foster
[+] Review The Vietnamese Gulag, by Doan Van Toai and Dav... (Review) , p. 57
- The Vietnamese Gulag by Doan Van Toai and David Chanoff
[+] 2 Reviews Mayday, by Michael R. Beschloss (2 Reviews) , p. 58
- Mayday by Michael R. Beschloss
- Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi
[+] Review Beyond Entitlement, by Lawrence M. Mead (Review) , p. 59
- Beyond Entitlement by Lawrence M. Mead
[+] Review Origins, by Robert Shapiro (Review) , pp. 60-62
- Origins by Robert Shapiro