The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
Show MoreShow AllFinding...Find More
January 1986 Issue - 19 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills
Charles Peters, pp. 6-11
Whacko tax credits... vanishing reservists... business myopia... and other odds and end...
- Mutually Assured Corruption: The Justice Department and Anne Burford's EFA
Daniel Benjamin, pp. 12-21
What happens when ambitious lawyers and scheming bureaucrats meet.
- Who's Who, pp. 22-23
- Political Puzzle, p. 24
- The Other AIDS Crisis: Who Pays for the Treatment?, pp. 25-31
The health care system is showing its debility as it tries to care and pay for AIDS pat...
- Memo of the Month, p. 32
- Prime Time Pablum
S.L. Harrison, pp. 33-39
A history of how political tampering and corporate influence has prevented public TV fr...
- Criminals by Any Other Name
Russell Mokhiber, pp. 40-42
Corporate executives whose products injure consumers should be treated like other viole...
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 43-45
On Political Books
[+] Fear and Loathing in Silicon Valley (2 Reviews)
Gregg Easterbrook, pp. 46-49
Life in high tech land can't be as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
- The Big Score by Michael S. Malone
- The High Cost of High Tech by Lenny Siegel and John Markoff
[+] Star Wars: Revenge of the Nerds (Review)
Paul Barrett, pp. 50-52
They're back. They're angry. And they're building SDI.
- Star Warriors by William J. Broad
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 53
[+] Political Booknotes (6 Reviews) , pp. 54-55
[+] Review The Reagan Detour, by Richard Reeves (Review)
Michael Kinsley, pp. 54-55
- The Reagan Detour by Richard Reeves
[+] Review Between Washington and Jerusalem, by Wolf Blitzer (Review)
David Ignatius, p. 56
- Between Washington and Jerusalem by Wolf Blitzer
[+] Review Amusing Ourselves to Death, by Neil Postman (Review)
David W. Stowe, p. 57
- Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman
[+] Review American Pictures, by Jacob Holdt (Review)
Paul Bass, p. 58
- American Pictures by Jacob Holdt
[+] Review The Untapped Power of the Press, by Lewis W. W... (Review)
Jonathan Alter, pp. 58-59
- The Untapped Power of the Press by Lewis W. Wolfson
[+] Review The Making of a Public Man, by Sol Linowitz (Review)
Vance McMahan, pp. 60-62
- The Making of a Public Man by Sol Linowitz