The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
September 1985 Issue - 19 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-11
Life at the World Bank... Jackie Presser's deal... Finnish stools... and other odds and...
- Saving the Underclass, pp. 12-22
The author of Losing Ground argues that, if welfare were abolished, communities would f...
- Refund? What Refund? Why the IRS is Screwing Up, pp. 23-28
They expect you to correct their mistakes and foot the bill as well.
- Memo of the Month, pp. 29-31
- Political Puzzle, p. 32
- Put the Politics Back Into Political Science, pp. 33-37
Academics would understand government better if they saw its problems first-hand.
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 38
- Challenge to the Church: Make Capitalism Moral, pp. 39-42
Rather than blaming "the system," the bishops should help us choose between good busine...
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 43-48
- Who's Who, p. 49
On Political Books
[+] The Scars of Busing (Review) , pp. 50-53
Boston's wounds haven't healed.
- Common Ground by J. Anthony Lukas
[+] Political Booknotes (7 Reviews) , p. 54
[+] Review Innovation and Entrepreneurship, by Peter F. D... (Review) , p. 54
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship by Peter F. Drucker
[+] Review Secrets of State, by Barry Rubin (Review) , pp. 54-55
- Secrets of State by Barry Rubin
[+] Review Soviet Military Power, 1986, by The Department... (Review) , p. 56
- Soviet Military Power, 1986 by The Department of Defense
[+] Review Habits of the Heart, by Robert N. Bellah, Rich... (Review) , p. 57
- Habits of the Heart by Robert N. Bellah, Richard Madsen, and William M. Sullivan, ...
[+] 2 Reviews The Button, by Daniel F. Ford (2 Reviews) , p. 58
- The Button by Daniel F. Ford
- Strategic Command and Control by Bruce G. Blair
[+] Review The Limits of Victory, by George D. Moffett III (Review) , p. 59
- The Limits of Victory by George D. Moffett III
[+] Review The International Security Yearbook, 1983-1984... (Review) , pp. 60-62
- The International Security Yearbook, 1983-1984 by Barry M. Blechman and Edward N. Luttwak