The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
September 1984 Issue - 15 Articles
- Letters, p. 2
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 3-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-11
The paseo in San Francisco.... the professor who took over the orphanage.... and other ...
- The Best and the Worst of the House of Representatives, pp. 12-20
Meet the legislators, the investigators, the negotiators, the facilitators, and the zeros.
- Who's Who, p. 21
- Britain's Radical Center, pp. 22-30
In England, both the Labourites and the Tories have a stake in a class-ridden status qu...
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 31
- Money Under the Mattress: What Congressmen Don't Spend, pp. 32-38
The federal government has a deficit. Here are some congressmen who don't.
- Memo of the Month, p. 39
On Political Books
[+] Staying Awake at the Council on Foreign Relations (Review) , pp. 40-42
The lure of the foreign policy establishment is the opportunity to spin elegant theorie...
- The Wise Men of Foreign Affairs by Robert D. Schulzinger
[+] What Caspar Weinberger Could Learn from The Falklands (Review) , pp. 43-47
Harriers vs. carriers.
- Air War South Atlantic by Jeffrey L. Ethell
[+] Too Much Technology, Not Enough Soul (Review) , pp. 48-54
The gospel according to Randall Rothenberg.
- The Neoliberals by Randall Rothenberg
[+] Political Booknotes (2 Reviews) , p. 55
[+] Review The Quality of Mercy, by William Shawcross (Review) , p. 55
- The Quality of Mercy by William Shawcross
[+] Review Hubert Humphrey: A Biography, by Carl Solberg (Review) , p. 56
- Hubert Humphrey: A Biography by Carl Solberg
- Political Puzzle, pp. 57-62