The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
October 1984 Issue - 19 Articles
- Letters, p. 2
- Monthly Journalism Award, pp. 3-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-11
Getting a cab in Seattle.... the lonely Japanese worker.... and other odds and ends....
- Whatever Happened to the Family of Man?, pp. 12-18
Diane Arbus and the death of documentary photography.
- Who's Who, p. 19
- "Can Our Public Affairs Officer Help?", pp. 20-26
How the military keeps the press in the dark.
- Memo of the Month, p. 27
- "Perfect! Beautiful! Now Zoom in Tight on the Blind Woman's Face.", pp. 28-37
A fictional look behind the scenes at a TV newsmagazine.
- Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Foreign Policy, pp. 38-47
How Ronald Reagan is like Mrs. Rosenthal, and why Havana should be in the American League.
- Fighting World War III with Quarters, pp. 48-51
NUWEP meets NORAD.
[+] On Political Books (Review) , pp. 52-54
When we talk about equality, we shouldn't forget about the poor.
- The Economic Illusion by Robert Kuttner
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 55
[+] Political Booknotes (6 Reviews) , p. 56
[+] Review Marked to Die, by Michael Harold Brown (Review) , p. 56
- Marked to Die by Michael Harold Brown
[+] Review Sixty Minutes, by Axel Madsen (Review) , p. 56
- Sixty Minutes by Axel Madsen
[+] Review The Willowbrook Wars, by David J. Rothman and ... (Review) , p. 56
- The Willowbrook Wars by David J. Rothman and Sheila M. Rothman
[+] Review Restoring Our Competitive Edge, by Robert A. H... (Review) , p. 57
- Restoring Our Competitive Edge by Robert A. Hayes and Steven C. Wheelwright
[+] Review The New Politics of Science, by David Dickson (Review) , p. 57
- The New Politics of Science by David Dickson
[+] Review Splash of Colors, by John Nance (Review) , p. 58
- Splash of Colors by John Nance
- Political Puzzle, pp. 59-62