The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
June 1984 Issue - 20 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-11
A California quiz... whispering at lunch time... and other odds and ends...
- Nobel Fever: Why the Engineers Left the Shop Floor, pp. 12-22
The secret to our economic decline may be that our engineering students wear white coat...
Behind the Scenes in the Presidential Campaign
- How Mondale Makes His Money, pp. 23-27
And how his chief of staff does.
- The Lost Roast of Gary Hart, pp. 28-34
How the Hart campaign suppressed the findings of its blue-ribbon commission on presiden...
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 35
- Who's Who, p. 36
- "It Must Be Legitimate, Thelma, They Advertise in The Wall Street Journal.", pp. 37-44
The Journal, Money, Changing Times and USA Today publish ads for "leverage contracts" t...
- Political Puzzle, p. 45
- Memo of the Month, p. 46
- The Day the PTA Stayed Home, pp. 47-54
Lamar Alexander's master teacher plan didn't seem radical. But Tennessee's teachers mar...
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 55
- The Stoning of Donald Regan: How I Set Off Washington's Great Gaffe Machine, pp. 56-57
The treasury secretary made a sensible suggestion about Social Security, and the politi...
[+] Political Booknotes (7 Reviews) , p. 58
[+] Review Interpreting Elections, by Stanley Kelley, Jr. (Review) , p. 58
- Interpreting Elections by Stanley Kelley, Jr.
[+] Review Caveat, by Alexander M. Haig (Review) , p. 58
- Caveat by Alexander M. Haig
[+] Review Democracy, by Joan Didion (Review) , p. 58
- Democracy by Joan Didion
[+] Review Marrying Up, by Joanna Steichen (Review) , pp. 58-59
- Marrying Up by Joanna Steichen
[+] Review The Other Side of the Story, by Jody Powell (Review) , p. 60
- The Other Side of the Story by Jody Powell
[+] Review The Power to Lead, by James MacGregor Burns (Review) , p. 60
- The Power to Lead by James MacGregor Burns
[+] Review Sex and Destiny, by Germaine Greer (Review) , pp. 60-62
- Sex and Destiny by Germaine Greer