The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
January 1984 Issue - 23 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-12
The return of red-baiting... Bob Dylan's new cause... and other odds and ends...
- Who's Who, p. 13
American Capitalism: How It Fails, How It Can Be Saved
- The Washington Post: Monopoly Profits and Broken Promises, pp. 14-26
When reporters and managers put the bottom line before their ideals.
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 27
- The All Purpose Made-to-Order Korean Airliner Tragedy Story, pp. 28-33
Whose black box do you believe?
- Weirton Steel: Buying Out the Bosses, pp. 34-46
How the citizens of a West Virginia town saved a dying company.
- Memo of the Month, p. 47
- What We Lose When the Rich Go on the Dole, pp. 48-50
Tax-deductible llamas hurt the economy more than welfare Cadillacs.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 51
- Comparable Worth: Another Terrible Idea, pp. 52-57
"Baxter, you've got all the makings of a 417--if you'll just stop chasing those 97s in ...
- Political Puzzle, p. 58
[+] Political Booknotes (11 Reviews) , p. 59
[+] Review The Atlantic City Gamble, by George Sternlieb (Review) , p. 59
- The Atlantic City Gamble by George Sternlieb
[+] Review Bernard M. Baruch, by James L. Grant (Review) , p. 59
- Bernard M. Baruch by James L. Grant
[+] Review Class Act, by Benita Eisler (Review) , p. 59
- Class Act by Benita Eisler
[+] Review The Command and Control of Nuclear Forces, by ... (Review) , p. 59
- The Command and Control of Nuclear Forces by Paul Bracken
[+] Review The Culture of Consumption, by Richard Wightma... (Review) , p. 60
- The Culture of Consumption by Richard Wightman Fox and T.J. Jackson Lears
[+] Review Deadly Business, by Patrick Brogan and Albert ... (Review) , p. 60
- Deadly Business by Patrick Brogan and Albert Zarca
[+] Review Decadent Societies, by Robert M. Adams (Review) , p. 60
- Decadent Societies by Robert M. Adams
[+] Review D.E.S., by Robert Meyers (Review) , p. 60
- D.E.S. by Robert Meyers
[+] Review Family Politics, by Letty Cottin Pogrebin (Review) , p. 60
- Family Politics by Letty Cottin Pogrebin
[+] Review None is Too Many, by Irving M. Abella and Haro... (Review) , p. 60
- None is Too Many by Irving M. Abella and Harold Troper
[+] Review Recapitalizing America, by Sally M. Miller and... (Review) , pp. 60-62
- Recapitalizing America by Sally M. Miller and Donald Tomaskovic-Devey