The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
September 1983 Issue - 19 Articles
- Letters, pp. 1-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-9
Lessons from the Flash... warnings from the nurses... and other odds and ends...
- Money Over What Really Mattered: Where the Air Traffic Controllers Went Wrong, pp. 10-18
How PATCO--and the rest of us--could have won.
- Who's Who, p. 19
- Community Without Conformity: The Road Back from Narcissism, pp. 20-28
Right directions, wrong turns and other signposts from the fifties.
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 29-31
- Why the Bankers Get Away with It, pp. 32-38
Regulators don't regulate and the public doesn't care.
- Memo of the Month, p. 39
- The Pentagon Press: Prisoners of Respectability, pp. 40-45
George Spanton and the defense scandal you probably haven't heard about.
- Why Gandhi Drives the Neoconservatives Crazy, pp. 46-50
Hoisted on their own petards.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 51
[+] On Political Books (2 Reviews) , pp. 52-55
Nuclear wizards and Ivan the Vincible.
- The Threat by Andrew Cockburn
- The Wizards of Armageddon by Fred M. Kaplan
- Political Puzzle, p. 56
[+] Political Booknotes (6 Reviews) , p. 57
[+] Review Attlee, by Kenneth Harris (Review) , p. 57
- Attlee by Kenneth Harris
[+] Review Flashbacks, by Timothy Leary (Review) , p. 57
- Flashbacks by Timothy Leary
[+] Review Miranda: Crime, Law and Politics, by Liva Baker (Review) , p. 57
- Miranda: Crime, Law and Politics by Liva Baker
[+] Review Politics and Money, by Elizabeth Drew (Review) , p. 57
- Politics and Money by Elizabeth Drew
[+] Review Short Circuit, by Michael Mewshaw (Review) , p. 58
- Short Circuit by Michael Mewshaw
[+] Review Three Plus One Equals Billions, by Allan Sloan (Review) , pp. 58-62
- Three Plus One Equals Billions by Allan Sloan