The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
December 1982 Issue - 26 Articles
- Letters, pp. 2-5
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 6-11
Russell Baker's no-hitter.... trusts you can't trust.... and other odds and ends.
On the Brink
- The Merger Mongers, pp. 12-21
CEOs grab all the headlines, but it's the facilitators and agent provocateurs who push ...
- Industrial America's Suicide Pact, pp. 22-30
Hari-Kari in the board rooms and union halls.
- 1929 and 1982: The Similarities, pp. 31-32
Chicken Little may have been right.
- Memo of the Month, p. 33
- Precarious Prosperity: The Siren Song of the Service Sector, pp. 34-36
Too many conventioneers and systems analysts may do us in.
Glimmers of Hope
- What's Right with Big Business, pp. 37-45
The most successful corporate Goliaths think small, harbor eccentrics, and fire their b...
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 46
- Give It to the Proles, pp. 47-48
Letting employees be owners is good for the bottom line.
- Who's Who, p. 49
- New Blood, New Hopes, pp. 50-53
Hard-working immigrants like the Haitians help our economy. So why are we locking them up?
- Finally, a GOP Jobs Program, p. 54
Rx for the nation's decaying mansions and shaggy putting greens.
- Monthly Journalism Award, p. 55
[+] On Political Books (Review) , pp. 56-57
Edie Sedgwick and Andy Warhol couldn't have cared less about the economy.
- Edie: American Girl by Jean Stein and George Plimpton
- Political Puzzle, p. 58
[+] Political Booknotes (9 Reviews) , p. 59
[+] Review Fear at Work, by Richard Kazis and Richard L. ... (Review) , p. 59
- Fear at Work by Richard Kazis and Richard L. Grossman
[+] Review God's Bullies, by Perry Deane Young (Review) , p. 59
- God's Bullies by Perry Deane Young
[+] Review Holy Terror, by Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman (Review) , p. 59
- Holy Terror by Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman
[+] Review How to Make the Economy Succeed, by J. Morton ... (Review) , p. 59
- How to Make the Economy Succeed by J. Morton Davis
[+] Review The Hidden-Hand Presidency, by Fred I. Greenstein (Review) , p. 59
- The Hidden-Hand Presidency by Fred I. Greenstein
[+] Review Keeping Faith, by Jimmy Carter (Review) , p. 60
- Keeping Faith by Jimmy Carter
[+] Review The Rise and Decline of Nations, by Mancur Olson (Review) , p. 60
- The Rise and Decline of Nations by Mancur Olson
[+] Review The Roots of Radicalism, by Stanley Rothman an... (Review) , p. 60
- The Roots of Radicalism by Stanley Rothman and S. Robert Lichter
[+] Review Strike for Freedom, by Robert Eringer (Review) , pp. 60-62
- Strike for Freedom by Robert Eringer
- Cover illustration