The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
July 1979 Issue - 22 Articles
- Letters, p. 4
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 5-10
- Memo of the Month, p. 11
- A Letter to Jimmy Carter, pp. 12-16
Carter the student will lose in 1980. Carter the teacher could win.
- The Art of the Leak: From Judas Iscariot to Greg Schneiders, pp. 17-25
Everyone in Washington hates leakers. Thank goodness everyone in Washington is a leaker.
- Political Puzzle, p. 26
- The Screwing of the Average Man, Chapter XII: It's The Little Things That Count, pp. 27-30
Forgotten about that old bank account or insurance policy? Don't worry. Your banker, yo...
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 31-33
The Decline and Fall of the American Way of Regulation
- How the People Lost Control, pp. 34-41
Where the New Dealers had hoped to replace the inefficient courts with efficient agenci...
- The Tosca Tragedy: Chemical Poisoning the EFA Can't Control, pp. 42-45
A case in point.
- Who's Who, pp. 46-47
Our Well-Oiled Military Machine
- Hello Central, Get Me Nato: The Computer That Can't, pp. 48-51
How the Pentagon bought the Edsel of computers...
- Death of the Devil's Advocate, pp. 52-54
. . . and why they'll do it again.
- The State as Bookie, pp. 55-58
Legalized gambling raises more questions than who gets a cut of the take.
- Where to Stay in Washington, pp. 59-60
[+] Political Books (Review) , pp. 61-62
See No Evil, by Geoffrey Cowan
- See No Evil by Geoffrey Cowan
[+] Political Booknotes (6 Reviews) , p. 63
[+] Review An American Renaissance, by Jack Kemp (Review) , p. 63
- An American Renaissance by Jack Kemp
[+] Review Flying White House, by Jerald F. terHorst and ... (Review) , p. 63
- Flying White House by Jerald F. terHorst and Ralph Albertazzie
[+] Review Friends in High Places, by Lucianne Goldberg (Review) , p. 64
- Friends in High Places by Lucianne Goldberg
[+] Review Human Rights and U.S. Foreign Policy, by Peter... (Review) , p. 64
- Human Rights and U.S. Foreign Policy by Peter G. Brown and Douglas Maclean
[+] Review Modern Government and Constitutionalism, by Ra... (Review) , p. 64
- Modern Government and Constitutionalism by Raymond Polin
[+] Review Nuclear Disaster in the Urals, by Zhores A. Me... (Review) , pp. 64-66
- Nuclear Disaster in the Urals by Zhores A. Medvedev