The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
March 1978 Issue - 19 Articles
- Letters, pp. 6-7
- Tilting at Windmills, pp. 8-11
- The UMW: Now More Than Ever, pp. 12-23
If the United Mine-Workers seem crazy, you only have to look at the owners to understan...
- Who's Who, pp. 24-26
- Political Puzzle, p. 27
- The Secret Pleasures of the White House Press, pp. 28-35
The stories reporters don't write are the stories they love to tell their friends.
- Impact Aid: Another Fleecing, pp. 36-40
The federal government gives special funding to the school districts where federal empl...
Special Book Section
- Annual Political Book Award, p. 41
- Tidbits and Outrages, pp. 42-43
[+] China and India and Me (2 Reviews) , pp. 44-47
Bureaucracy and self-absorption may be severe problems in America, but they could becom...
- Chinese Shadows by Simon Leys
- India: A Wounded Civilization by V.S. Naipaul
- The Burning of the Reading Public, pp. 48-54
[+] Strangers in a Strange Land (3 Reviews) , pp. 55-62
Political scientists don't understand how hard life is for a political appointee.
- Congress by Morris P. Fiorina
- Red Tape by Herbert Kaufman
- A Government of Strangers by Hugh Heclo
[+] Public Men and Private Lives (2 Reviews) , pp. 63-67
Some worthy if unsatisfying attempts to explain why America is becoming overly imperson...
- The Fall of Public Man by Richard Sennett
- Haven in a Heartless World by Christopher Lasch
- Where to Stay in Washington, pp. 68-70
- Memo of the Month, pp. 71-72
[+] Political Books (Review) , pp. 73-74
Campaign for President, by Jonathan Moore and Janet Fraser
- Campaign for President by Jonathan Moore and Janet Fraser
[+] Political Booknotes (3 Reviews) , pp. 75-76
[+] Review Dulles, by Leonard Mosley (Review) , pp. 75-76
- Dulles by Leonard Mosley
[+] Review Hate Don't Make No Noise, by Etta Revesz (Review) , p. 77
- Hate Don't Make No Noise by Etta Revesz
[+] Review The Storm Petrels, by Gordon Brook-Shepherd (Review) , pp. 78-80
- The Storm Petrels by Gordon Brook-Shepherd