The Washington Monthly Archives
The Washington Monthly • 42 Years, 418 Issues, 7,592 Articles, 27,230pp
April 1973 Issue - 10 Articles
The Culture of Bureaucracy
- The Foreign Service as Mirror of America, pp. 5-14
If we're ever going to do anything about white-collar featherbedding, a good place to s...
- Tidbits and Outrages, p. 15
- The Mafia and the Mexicans: Crooked Justice from the INS, pp. 16-22
Many government agencies go for years without any substantial scrutiny by the press or ...
The Screwing of the Average Man
- The Case for the Extended Family: Life Insurance, pp. 23-32
Rarely do we feel as virtuous as when we take care of the wife and kids with a life ins...
- Memo of the Month, pp. 33-35
- The Political Puzzle, p. 36
- The Watergate Story: Why Congress Didn't Investigate Until After the Election, pp. 37-46
There were six Democratic fingers in the dike that may have saved the Administration fr...
- Decency and Loyalty: Linwood Holton Learns the President's Views, pp. 47-54
Except for his racial moderation, Virginia's governor has been a 100 percent Nixon loya...
- How to Keep Them Buying, Even Though They Know You're Lying, pp. 55-60
An American morality play, in which an FTC judge swallows Wonder Bread's argument that ...
[+] Political Book Notes (21 Reviews) , pp. 61-66
Abortion II, by Lawrence Lader
- Abortion II by Lawrence Lader
- The April Game by Diogenes
- The Corporate Eunuch by O. William Battalia and John J. Tarrant
- Corporate Lib by Eli Ginzberg
- The Disaster Lobby by Melvin J. Grayson
- The Fourth World by Ben Whitaker
- Group Marriage by Larry L. Constantine and Joan M. Constantine
- In His Own Image by James F. Simon
- The Intellectual Crisis in American Public Administration by Vincent Ostrom
- Laughing All the Way by Barbara Howar
- Methadone Maintenance by Dorothy Nelkin
- The Next Phase in Foreign Policy by Henry Owen
- Nixon's Head by Art Woodstone
- Parties by John S. Saloma III and Frederick H. Sontag
- Philosophy of the Urban Guerilla by Donald C. Hedges and Abraham Guillen
- Postwar America, 1945-1971 by Howard Zinn
- President McGovern's First Term by Nicholas Max
- Running by Bob Greene
- The Secret Team by L. Fletcher Prouty
- We Mainline Dreams by Judianne Densen-Gerber
- West Point by K. Bruce Galloway and Robert Bowie Johnson, Jr., ...