Reason • 38 Years, 390 Issues, 6,980 Articles, 23,442pp
August 2004 Issue - 19 Articles
- Editor's Note, p. 4
Battle of the bulge
- Contributors, p. 5
- Letters, pp. 6-7
The federal war on porn, the tax protest movement reassessed, Solzhenitsyn the anti-Semite
- Citings, pp. 8-13
Online gambling crackdown, trouble for farm subsidies, RFID roundup, charge it to Uncle...
- Watergate Blowback, pp. 14-15
The White House's ongoing battle against post-Nixon sunshine laws
- Taking Science Seriously, pp. 16-18
Conservative dogma about sex roles ignores inconvenient realities
- Rant: The Wrong Lesson, p. 19
Teaching college reporters to be meek
- The War on Fat, pp. 20-25
Is the size of your butt the government's business?
- American Slender, pp. 26-31
When did freedom become just another word for 10 pounds left to lose?
- Dr. Feelscared, pp. 32-41
Drug warriors put the fear of prosecution in physicians who dare to treat pain
- John Perry Barlow 2.0, pp. 42-49
The Thomas Jefferson of cyberspace reinvents his body---and his politics
- Try, Beloved Country, pp. 50-59
Rumors of South Africa's decline are greatly exaggerated
Culture & Reviews
- "Real" "Art", pp. 60-63
Mr. Grumpy goes to an art museum and comes out belaboring the obvious!
- Chatroom Revolutionaries, p. 64
Iran's dissidents and exiles discover the web
[+] Historia Discordia (Review) , pp. 65-67
Meet Kerry Thornley, the second Oswald
- The Prankster and the Conspiracy by Adam Gorightly
[+] Globalization Without Tears (Review) , pp. 68-71
An economist debates the NGOs
- In Defense of Globalization by Jagdish Bhagwati
- Invisible Cities, pp. 72-73
The changing faces of Washington, D.C.
- Artifact: Bare Virtue, pp. 74-76
When exposed breasts were in style
- Cover photo