Reason • 38 Years, 390 Issues, 6,980 Articles, 23,442pp
Aug/Sept 2001 Issue - 31 Articles
- Editor's Note, pp. 5-8
- Letters, pp. 9-11
- Rave Rage, p. 12
- Wages of Vice , p. 12
- Balance Sheet , p. 12
- Pupils Wide Open , p. 13
- Through the Nose , p. 13
- Baltimore Blues , p. 14
- Bad Timing , p. 15
- Kiddie Time , p. 15
- Brickbats , p. 16
- Murder at the Docks , p. 16
- The Price of Legislation , p. 16
- Free to Grow , pp. 17-18
- Check's in The Mail, pp. 19-22
How the Tax Cut Went from Impossible to Inevitable
- Sex and the Census, pp. 23-25
Post-Revolution Data on Toxic Bachelors, Choice, and Children
- First Family Follies, p. 26
Why President Bush Should Let his Daughters Drink
- Fine Dining At Shell, p. 27
- Schoolhouse Crock, pp. 28-35
Why George W. Bush's Education Reforms Won't Change Anything
- The Roots of Racial Profiling, pp. 36-43
Why are Police Targeting Minorities for Traffic Stops?
- Old Law vs. the New Economy, pp. 44-51
How New Deal-Era Regulations Stifle Flexible Work Arrangements
- The Great Gun Fight, pp. 52-61
A Reason Online Debate
Culture & Reviews
- Beyond Miramax, pp. 62-66
Far from Hollywood, new filmmaking communities emerge
[+] Chad All Over (4 Reviews) , p. 67
Assessing the 2000 presidential election.
- Bush v. Gore by E.J. Dionne, Jr. and William Kristol
- Deadlock by Ellen Nakashima and David von Drehle
- Smashmouth by Dana Milbank
- 36 Days by The New York Times
- If and Butts, pp. 68-71
How smoking became the target of unfiltered malice.
[+] How the East Grew Poor (Review) , pp. 72-73
Imperial weather and the poverty of nations.
- Late Victorian Holocausts by Mike Davis
- I Dreamed I Saw Joey Ramone Last Night, pp. 74-76
The P.C. eulogizing of a punk rocker.
[+] Southern Nationalism (2 Reviews) , p. 77
Exploring the roots of the Civil War.
- When in the Course of Human Events by Charles Adams
- The Counterrevolution of Slavery by Manisha Sinha
[+] Paper Tigers (Review) , pp. 78-81
Page slaves pressed by history's volume
- Double Fold by Nicholson Baker
- Artifact: Outside In, pp. 82-83
Why the art world covets demented "outsiders."
- Cover illustration