Reason • 38 Years, 390 Issues, 6,980 Articles, 23,442pp
August 1983 Issue - 18 Articles
- Notes, pp. 4-24
Our May lead story
- How to Get Out of the Food Stamp Trap, pp. 25-32
The Food Stamp Program is One of the Government's Largest--and Probably the Most Abused...
- The User Fee Illusion, p. 33
Charging the users of government services instead of the taxpayers sounds like a great ...
- Freaked Out by Technology, pp. 34-38
A Student of the '60s takes a New Look at What Moved the New Left.
- Tyranny Takes the Gold, pp. 39-40
In the name of the Olympics, the state moved in like a storm trooper.
- Was it the Free Market that Failed in Chile?, pp. 41-43
- In Celebration of Reason, pp. 44-45
- Viewpoint, p. 46
Has the Dragon Been Slain?
- Money, p. 47
- Health & Welfare, pp. 48-49
New Wave Cooking
- Spotlight, p. 50
Radical Party Man
Arts & Letters
[+] Movies (3 Reviews) , pp. 51-53
Querelle; Blue Thunder; Parsifal
- Querelle (1982 Film) by Rainer Werner Fassbinder
- Blue Thunder (1983 Film) by John Badham
- Parsifal (1982 Film) by Hans-Jurgen Syberberg
[+] Does Great Prosperity Take Little Rebellions? (Review) , pp. 54-55
The Rise and Decline of Nations, by Mancur Olson
- The Rise and Decline of Nations by Mancur Olson
[+] Would Vouchers Destroy Educational Freedom? (Review) , pp. 56-57
High School Achievement, by James S. Coleman, Thomas Hoffer, and Sally Kilgore, ...
- High School Achievement by James S. Coleman, Thomas Hoffer, and Sally Kilgore, ...
[+] On the Nuclear Front (Review) , p. 58
The War Against the Atom, by Samuel McCracken
- The War Against the Atom by Samuel McCracken
[+] Observer of the Century (Review) , pp. 59-61
A Life With the Printed Word, by John Chamberlain
- A Life With the Printed Word by John Chamberlain
[+] Intolerance and Intervention (2 Reviews) , pp. 62-68
The Reconstruction of American Political Ideology, 1865-1917, by Frank Tariello, Jr.
- The Reconstruction of American Political Ideology, 1865-1917 by Frank Tariello, Jr.
- Ministers of Reform by Robert M. Crunden
- Cover photograph