The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
March 17, 1997 Issue - 20 Articles
- Comment: Get Unreal, pp. 11-13
Do we want to see Dan Rather, pores and all?
- The Mail, pp. 14-19
- Goings On About Town, pp. 20-46
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 47-58
The little paper with the big scoops; it takes a village to clone a sheep; Paul Taylor'...
- Letter from Washington: Clintons on the Brain, pp. 59-62
Behind the his-and-hers education initiatives
- "Being and Nothingness", p. 63
- Paris Journal: The Chill, pp. 64-69
Why the French can't wait to turn fifty-five
[+] Life and Letters: The Road to "Crash" (Review) , pp. 70-77
How did J.G. Ballard, the author of the cult novel that is now a controversial movie, d...
- Crash by J.G. Ballard
On and Off the Avenue
- Annals of Style: The Coolhunt, pp. 78-82
How can you find out what's cool? Hire a coolhunter
- "Wakefulness", pp. 83-87
- Postcard from London: Gear, p. 88
What does international fashion want from England's eccentric young designers?
- Sketchbook: Dangerous London, pp. 89-92
- "Another Loss to Stop For", pp. 93-95
- Paris Portfolio: Backstage, pp. 96-105
Photographs of the couture-collection scene at the ateliers, dressing rooms, parties, a...
- Fiction: "Whosoever", pp. 106-111
How does a man speak to his mother?
[+] The Cold War and the Closet (Review) , pp. 112-116
Whittaker Chambers: A Biography, by Sam Tanenhaus
- Whittaker Chambers: A Biography by Sam Tanenhaus
[+] Ex Libris (Review) , pp. 117-120
A History of Reading, by Alberto Manguel
- A History of Reading by Alberto Manguel
[+] The Current Cinema (2 Reviews) , pp. 121-123
- Donnie Brasco (1997 Film) by Mike Newell
- The Eighth Day (1997 Film) by Jaco van Dormael
- Shouts & Murmurs, pp. 124-126
Long Day's Journey Into Abs
- Cover: Cheep Chic