The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
March 25, 1996 Issue - 19 Articles
- Comment: Dire Strait, pp. 9-11
How should Washington deal with Beijing's tantrum?
- In the Mail, pp. 12-13
- Goings On About Town, pp. 14-32
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 33-37
Roth and Brodsky remembered; the source of the campaign scoops; etc.
- The Political Scene: Pitchford Rebellion, pp. 38-43
Will the right ever recover from Pat Buchanan?
- Life and Letters: The Third Man, pp. 44-46
Who was the real Graham Greene? Literary genius, brothel bum, or spy? The author thinks...
- "The Appointment", pp. 47-51
- A Reporter at Large: The New Americans, pp. 52-59
Mixcan farmworkers once believed in the American dream. Why are their children now livi...
- Onward and Upward with the Arts: Margarett Sargent, pp. 60-63
- "Who She Was", pp. 64-71
- Profile: The Big Picture, pp. 72-79
Is there an Oscar category broad enough to cover all of Sharon Stone's performances?
- Fiction: "Three Stories", pp. 80-84
Tales of moviemaking
[+] Our Favorite Cynic (Review) , pp. 85-88
Ambrose Bierce: Alone in Bad Company, by Roy Morris, Jr.
- Ambrose Bierce: Alone in Bad Company by Roy Morris, Jr.
[+] Brett Again (Review) , pp. 89-90
Being Brett, by Douglas Hobbie
- Being Brett by Douglas Hobbie
[+] Briefly Noted (5 Reviews) , p. 91
St. Famous, by Jonathan Dee
- St. Famous by Jonathan Dee
- Ship Fever, and Other Stories by Andrea Barrett
- Previous Convictions by Nora Sayre
- God's Chinese Son by Jonathan D. Spence
- Rest for the Wicked by Glyn Maxwell
- The Art World, pp. 92-96
The Guggenheim's abstract show
[+] The Current Cinema (3 Reviews) , pp. 97-99
Republicans With Guns
- Land and Freedom (1996 Film) by Ken Loach
- The Flower of My Secret (1996 Film) by Pedro Almodovar
- Fargo (1996 Film) by Joel Coen
- Shouts & Murmurs, pp. 100-102
A Memo from Dad
- Cover: The Moment of Truth