The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
March 11, 1996 Issue - 20 Articles
- Comment: Mutally Assured Stupidity, pp. 9-13
International politics is reduced to a question of cojones
- In the Mail, pp. 14-15
- Goings On About Town, pp. 16-38
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 39-43
Martin Garbus sues the press; bus riders in Jerusalem; etc.
- Annals of Law: A Complicated Life, pp. 44-51
F. Lee Bailey has been in trouble before, but not like this, and not on the testimony o...
- "Jupiter Evening Star", pp. 52-53
- Postscript: The Good Doctor, pp. 54-57
Haing S. Ngor remembered
- The Political Scene: Uninvited Guests, pp. 58-67
Why can't the Republican Party just ask Steve Forbes and Pat Buchanan to go away?
- Letter from Russia: Gorbachev's Last Hurrah, pp. 68-75
Mikhail Gorbachev is a relic and the Communists lead in the polls. How could glasnost h...
- "Locus Solus", pp. 76-79
- At the Galleries: Hattie Carnegie, pp. 80-83
- Oscar Portfolio: Turning On the Light, pp. 84-89
Five actors prove something about this year's nominations
- Fiction: "Wonderful Tricks", pp. 90-97
A story about two sisters, and the texture of skin
- The Art World: Jacqueline Kenney Onassis's taste, pp. 98-100
[+] Mann in Love (3 Reviews) , pp. 101-104
Thomas Mann: A Life, by Donald A. Prater
- Thomas Mann: A Life by Donald A. Prater
- Thomas Mann: A Biography by Ronald Hayman
- Thomas Mann: Eros and Literature by Anthony Heilbut
[+] Supreme Fiction (Review) , pp. 105-106
In the Beauty of the Lilies, by John Updike
- In the Beauty of the Lilies by John Updike
[+] The Current Cinema (Review) , pp. 107-109
A Nose for News
- Up Close and Personal (1996 Film) by Jon Avnet
- The Theatre, pp. 110-111
"A Fair Country," "Bus Stop"
- Shouts & Murmurs, pp. 112-114
Repondez, Si Vous Payez
- Cover: Warm Front