The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
June 17, 1996 Issue - 19 Articles
- Comment: The Gamblers, pp. 5-11
In Russia, an election puts (quasi) democracy at risk
- In the Mail, pp. 12-13
- Goings On About Town, pp. 14-34
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 35-44
The New York vote on Netanyahu; beauty at the ballet; etc.
- Letter from Washington: This Year's Model, pp. 45-49
Why would Bill Clinton want to be a Ronald Reagan?
- Onward and Upward with the Arts: Take No Prisoners, pp. 50-59
What did Henry V really do at Agincourt, and what would the Hague Tribunal make of it?
- Letter from Baghdad: Saddam Wins Again, pp. 60-63
Iraq isn't like Cambodia or Bosnia---you have to look closer to see who Saddam Hussein ...
- "Dynasty", pp. 64-65
- Life and Letters: White Like Me, pp. 66-81
Anatole Broyard did not like limitations: he wanted to be a writer, not a black writer....
- Fiction: "Baster", pp. 82-84
There are many ways to make a baby
- "At the End of a Long Dream", pp. 85-89
- The Art World: Cezanne in Philadelphia, pp. 90-93
- Showcase: Literary Lions, pp. 94-96
[+] Snobs and Yobs (2 Reviews) , p. 97
Rogue Trader, by Nick Leeson
- Rogue Trader by Nick Leeson
- The Collapse of Barings by Stephen Fay
- "La Voix Humaine", pp. 98-99
[+] Briefly Noted (5 Reviews) , p. 100
Blackwater, by Kerstin Ekman
- Blackwater by Kerstin Ekman
- Like Judgment Day by Michael D'Orso
- Tchaikovsky by Anthony Holden
- The Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris
- From Peep Show to Palace by David Robinson
[+] The Current Cinema (2 Reviews) , pp. 101-103
Winners and Losers
- The Rock (1996 Film) by Michael Bay
- Heavy (1995 Film) by James Mangold
- Shouts & Murmurs: Buyer Beware, pp. 104-106
- Cover: Don't Ask