The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
June 3, 1996 Issue - 21 Articles
- Comment: Children's Crusade, pp. 5-7
Transcending the limits of "identity politics"
- In the Mail, pp. 8-11
- Goings On About Town, pp. 12-28
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 29-31
The General's prescription; non-stop Philip Johnson; etc.
- Dept. of Disputation: The Tipping Point, pp. 32-33
What if crime is an epidemic?
- "Birthdream", pp. 34-39
- Paris Journal: Elvis of the Elysee, pp. 40-47
Miterrand lives on, just as he planned to
- Backstage Notes: Death Defying Director, pp. 48-51
Could anything be better than working with Woody Allen, Elaine May, and David Mamet---a...
- "The Imaginary Picnic", pp. 52-55
- Postscript: Richard Clurman, pp. 56-61
- A Reporter at Large: Diary of a Murder, pp. 62-68
Last year, two female students died at Harvard. The killer's journal has just been obta...
- Sketchbook: Bob Dole's Kansas Kasuals, pp. 69-71
- Tony Portfolio: Broadway Bravos, pp. 72-75
- Fiction: "Who Knows Why", pp. 76-81
Stain or varnish? The metaphysics of house renovation
- Mixed Media: David Letterman's funk, pp. 82-84
[+] The Current Cinema (Review) , pp. 85-87
- Mission: Impossible (1996 Film) by Brian De Palma
[+] Losing the Farm (Review) , pp. 88-91
Fields Without Dreams, by Victor Davis Hanson
- Fields Without Dreams by Victor Davis Hanson
[+] Haunted (Review) , p. 92
The Vixen, by W.S. Merwin
- The Vixen by W.S. Merwin
[+] Briefly Noted (5 Reviews) , p. 93
A Fine Balance, by Rohinton Mistry
- A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
- My Home Is Far Away by Dawn Powell
- California Fault by Thurston Clarke
- The Burgermeister's Daughter by Steven Ozment
- The Letters of Dorothy L. Sayers, 1899-1936 by Barbara Reynolds and Dorothy L. Sayers
- Shouts & Murmurs, pp. 94-96
God, Help Me!
- Cover: Altared States