The New Yorker Archives
The New Yorker • 81 Years, 2,910 Issues, 43,563 Articles, 369,246pp
July 31, 1995 Issue - 19 Articles
- Comment: The Nuclear Jubilee, pp. 6-7
Were Hiroshima's ruins a vaccination mark?
- In the Mail, pp. 8-9
- Goings On About Town, pp. 10-25
- The Talk of the Town, pp. 26-29
Lew Wasserman, Hollywood's invisible man; guerrilla bungee jumpers; Gentleman Floyd; it...
- Annals of Law: The Thin White Line, pp. 30-34
The government is fighting a new drug war against Colombia's cartel bosses---and the Am...
- Personal History: I Say This, pp. 35-39
A long time ago, when Zaire was called the Congo and it wasn't always easy to get rid o...
- Letter from Hiroshima: Did the Bomb End the War?, pp. 40-47
Hiroshima was bombed to stop a fanatical empire that would have wasted a million more A...
- "The Dark Hole", pp. 48-58
- "Ukiyo-e", pp. 59-64
- From the Archives: The Day the Bomb Fell, pp. 65-67
An excerpt from "Hiroshima," which first appeared in this magazine, in 1946
- Fiction: "The Zoo Attack", pp. 68-74
In Manchuria, at the end of the war
[+] Books: I Lost It in the Saucer (Review) , pp. 75-77
Close Encounters of the Fourth Kind, by C.D.B. Bryan
- Close Encounters of the Fourth Kind by C.D.B. Bryan
[+] Biker Days (Review) , p. 78
The Motorcycle Diaries, by Ernesto Che Guevara, Cintio Vitier, and Aleida Guevara, ...
- The Motorcycle Diaries by Ernesto Che Guevara, Cintio Vitier, and Aleida Guevara, ...
[+] Recommended Reading (4 Reviews) , p. 79
The Riders, by Tim Winton
- The Riders by Tim Winton
- Splitting by Fay Weldon
- Athena by John Banville
- South of the Big Four by Don Kurtz
[+] The Current Cinema (2 Reviews) , pp. 80-82
- Kids (1995 Film) by Larry Clark
- Wild Reeds (1994 Film) by Andre Techine
- Jazz, pp. 83-85
Three generations of swingers
- Musical Events, pp. 86-87
- Shouts & Murmurs, pp. 88-90
- Cover: Under the Cloud