The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
February 27, 2006 Issue - 16 Articles
Politics & the World
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
The bloodiest wars, etc.
- TRB: Broadcast Blues, p. 6
Why Iraq doesn't make the TV news
- Slow Response, p. 7
Michael Chertoff says the Department of Homeland Security can handle natural disasters ...
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Is hunting safer than ping-ping?, etc.
- Tap Dance, pp. 10-11
Alberto Gonzales's absurd performance
- Kampala Dispatch: Made Man, pp. 12-15
Uganda's president was once the model of a modern African leader. Today, he's just anot...
- New Orleans Dispatch: Black Out, p. 16
Carnival rolls on---without the city's African Americans
Cover Story: Identity Goes to War
- Beirut Dispatch: Comic Relief, pp. 17-18
The "cartoon jihadists" in Lebanon aren't protesting Western blasphemy. They're protest...
- Misled, pp. 19-23
If American Muslims are generally moderate, why are their leaders so radical?
Books & the Arts
[+] Films: Dissent, Great and Small (Review) , p. 24
Sophie Scholl: The Final Days (2005 Film), by Marc Rothemund
- Sophie Scholl: The Final Days (2005 Film) by Marc Rothemund
- Chili and Liberty, pp. 25-29
The uses and abuses of multiculturalism
[+] The Many in the One (2 Reviews) , pp. 30-32
The Ethics of Identity, by Kwame Anthony Appiah
- The Ethics of Identity by Kwame Anthony Appiah
- Cosmopolitanism by Kwame Anthony Appiah
[+] Shutters and Shudders (Review) , pp. 33-35
Lee Miller: A Life, by Carolyn Burke
- Lee Miller: A Life by Carolyn Burke
- Anatomy of a Failure, pp. 36-37
- Cambridge Diarist, pp. 38-40
- Cover Photo