The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
September 19, 2005 Issue - 20 Articles
Politics & the World
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Should we tax fatty foods?, etc.
- TRB: Poverty Line, pp. 6-8
Katrina showed what the poor need most. And it's not money
- Katrina, p. 9
The failure of American exceptionalism
- Notebook, pp. 10-11
We could use a few more John Wayne dudes, etc.
- Stare Decisis, pp. 12-13
With his nomination of John Roberts as chief justice, President Bush is offering libera...
- Power Tool, pp. 14-16
The biggest problem with Roberts isn't that he'll eliminate a woman's right to choose. ...
- Plus Ca Change, pp. 17-18
Why the new New Orleans will look a lot like the old New Orleans
- White House Watch: Storm Surge, p. 19
Four years after September 11 allowed the Republicans to show who they are, Katrina giv...
- Legal Brief, pp. 20-21
Michael Brown is clearly unqualified to head FEMA. But what exactly is he qualified for?
- Indefensible, pp. 22-23
The military is the organization best equipped to respond to a disaster like Katrina. T...
- Car Crash, p. 24
Katrina may wreak its worst damage on Detroit
- Plaquemines Dispatch: Wasteland, p. 25
New Orleans may rebuild, but this parish won't
- Baton Rouge Dispatch: Gulf Stream, pp. 26-27
An American diaspora
Books & the Arts
[+] Films: Heights and Depths (2 Reviews) , p. 28
One Bright Shining Moment (2005 Film), by Stephen Vittoria
- One Bright Shining Moment (2005 Film) by Stephen Vittoria
- Keane (2004 Film) by Lodge Kerrigan
[+] The Philosopher-Justice (Review) , pp. 29-33
Active Liberty, by Stephen Breyer
- Active Liberty by Stephen Breyer
[+] Palette (Review) , pp. 34-35
Food in Painting, by Kenneth Bendiner
- Food in Painting by Kenneth Bendiner
- In Nowhere, pp. 36-38
[+] Terror Fiction (Review) , pp. 39-41
Incendiary, by Chris Cleave
- Incendiary by Chris Cleave
- Phuket Diarist, pp. 42-44
Return to Paradise
- Cover Photo