The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
February 16, 2004 Issue - 15 Articles
Politics & the World
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Richard Posner v. Eran Gerstmann on gay marriage, etc.
- TRB: Raising Kean, p. 6
Why conservatives hate the 9/11 Commission
- Kay Sera, p. 7
David Kay is right that there was an Iraq intelligence failure. He's just wrong to let ...
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Bill Richardson's inclusive enthusiasm, etc.
- Campaign Journal: Howard's End, p. 10
As everything goes wrong, the Dean campaign blocks out the world
- Disciplinarian, pp. 11-12
John Edwards's campaign lacks an outsider's passion. Which is why it's doing well
- Basra Dispatch: Union Jacked, pp. 13-15
British-occuped Basra used to be considered a model occupation. Now it is getting as ba...
- Misjudged, pp. 16-18
Conservatives predicted the Lawrence decision would revolutionze gay rights. Unfortunat...
- Talking Back, pp. 19-25
For decades, conservatives have dominated talk radio, because it's conservatives who ha...
Books & the Arts
[+] Films: Two Returns (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Touching the Void (2003 Film), by Kevin Macdonald
- Touching the Void (2003 Film) by Kevin Macdonald
- Hiding and Seeking (2003 Film) by Menachem Daum and Oren Rudavsky
- Art: Beyond Belief, pp. 27-31
The paintings of John Currian, in the current retrospective at the Whitney, perfectly e...
[+] Devils in America (Review) , pp. 32-34
Reds, by Ted Morgan
- Reds by Ted Morgan
[+] Shadowlines (Review) , pp. 35-36
The Noonday Cemetery and Other Stories, by Gustaw Herling
- The Noonday Cemetery and Other Stories by Gustaw Herling
- Litany, p. 37
- Guangzhou Diarist: Old Habits, pp. 38-40