The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
May 5, 2003 Issue - 17 Articles
Politics & the World
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Is Scripture really anti-gay?, etc.
- TRB: Free Form, p. 6
Why Iraqis aren't yet free
- Flagellation, p. 7
The struggle for a secular Iraq
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Is Rick Santorum a bigot or just an idiot?, etc.
- Campaign Journal: Field Test, p. 10
Which Democrat won the war?
- Sadr City Dispatch: Slumlords, p. 11
How the mullahs took over
- Jerusalem Dispatch: Local Victory, pp. 12-14
Israel didn't fight this war. But it might have won
- Amman Dispatch: Victim Complex, p. 15
Arabs saw Saddam Hussein's right against the United States as their great new drama. No...
- Split Decision, pp. 16-18
The Bush administration doesn't have one plan to build a new government in Iraq. Thanks...
- The Wasteland, pp. 19-21
Last week, I returned to southern Iraq for the first time in 37 years. I saw children b...
Books & the Arts
[+] Films: Intentions (2 Reviews) , pp. 22-23
The Guys (2002 Film), by Jim Simpson
- The Guys (2002 Film) by Jim Simpson
- The Good Thief (2003 Film) by Neil Jordan
- Art: Everyday Symbolist, pp. 24-27
A new retrospective reveals Edouard Vuillard's gift for defamiliarizing the familiar
[+] When Poets Made War (Review) , pp. 28-33
Poets of World War II, by Harvey Shapiro
- Poets of World War II by Harvey Shapiro
[+] Black Coffee (Review) , pp. 34-35
Silence on the Mountain, by Daniel Wilkinson
- Silence on the Mountain by Daniel Wilkinson
- Backyard, pp. 36-37
- Washington Diarist, pp. 38-40
- Cover Photo