The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
November 12, 2001 Issue - 22 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Is Idiocy Watch PC?, etc.
- TRB: Teach In, pp. 6-8
Can universities save the CIA?
- Enough Already, p. 9
A stimulus bill that's worse than nothing at all
- Notebook, pp. 10-11
Balancing the press, containing loose nukes, etc.
- Poor Choice, pp. 12-13
Why globalization doesn't produce jihad
- White House Watch: Missing Person, pp. 14-15
W.'s silence on anthrax
- Cattle Call, pp. 16-17
Could cows and Russians save us from anthrax
- Circle Game, p. 18
What's so great about a loya jirga?
- Srinagar Dispatch: Fertile Ground, p. 19
Al Qaeda in Kashmir
- Dhaka Dispatch: Civil Society, pp. 20-21
Bangladesh stays secular
- Fevered Pitch, pp. 22-24
Grover Norquist set out to bring Muslims into the Republican Party. He has ended up bri...
- Ours to Lose, pp. 25-27
The Bushies used to scorn the Clintonites for their timid, antiseptic approach to war. ...
Special Holiday Arts Section
[+] On Films: Carrying One (3 Reviews) , pp. 28-29
The Last Castle (2001 Film), by Rod Lurie
- The Last Castle (2001 Film) by Rod Lurie
- Intimacy (2001 Film) by Patrice Chereau
- Better Than Sex (2000 Film) by Jonathan Teplitzky
- On Theater: The New Relevance, pp. 30-31
Was Othello a Muslim? In the wake of September 11, the classics take on new meanings
- On Art: Reckless Reality, pp. 32-37
Giacometti's greatness is beyond dispute, but a new retrospective raises some old quest...
[+] The Undying Swan (Review) , pp. 38-39
I, Maya Plisetskaya, by Maya Plisetskaya
- I, Maya Plisetskaya by Maya Plisetskaya
- Ars Poetica III, pp. 40-44
[+] The Birth of Irony (Review) , pp. 45-49
The Arts of Deception, by James W. Cook
- The Arts of Deception by James W. Cook
[+] Wit From Woe (Review) , pp. 50-52
The Death of Comedy, by Erich Segal
- The Death of Comedy by Erich Segal
[+] Things Done on Earth (2 Reviews) , pp. 53-57
Supernatural Love, by Gjertrud Schnackenberg
- Supernatural Love by Gjertrud Schnackenberg
- The Throne of Labdacus by Gjertrud Schnackenberg
- Jerusalem Diarist: The Old Country, pp. 58-60
- On the Cover: Illustration