The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
January 1, 2001 Issue - 18 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Was Hannah Arendt a liberal? Was Rutherford Hayes a Deke?, etc.
- TRB: Color Scheme, p. 6
The rise of "multicultural conservatism"
- Death and Taxes, p. 7
W.'s tax cut is lousy. So is the "moderate" alternative
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
How Bush actually won in a landslide, etc.
- Man in the Mirror, p. 10
Are George W. and Thomas J. the same guy?
- Central Casting, p. 11
Why is W appointing so many moderates?
- On the Hill: High Chairs, p. 12
The ugly fight over committee posts
- Safe House, p. 13
How the Dems could lose seats in 2002
- Sugar and Spice, pp. 14-16
Why women won't save the Senate
- Yesterday's Man, pp. 17-21
Colin Powell has a clear, coherent view of American foreign policy. Too bad it's totall...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Time Out (2 Reviews) , p. 22
Cast Away (2000 Film), by Robert Zemeckis
- Cast Away (2000 Film) by Robert Zemeckis
- An Everlasting Piece (2000 Film) by Barry Levinson
[+] Why Books Survive (Review) , pp. 23-25
Book Business, by Jason Epstein
- Book Business by Jason Epstein
[+] Autumn of the Agitator (Review) , pp. 26-27
W.E.B. Du Bois, Vol. II, by David Levering Lewis
- W.E.B. Du Bois, Vol. II by David Levering Lewis
- Ellis Island, pp. 28-29
[+] Life Without Eliot (Review) , pp. 30-35
Other Traditions, by John Ashbery
- Other Traditions by John Ashbery
[+] The Art of the Deal (2 Reviews) , pp. 36-37
Tales from the Art Crypt, by Richard Feigen
- Tales from the Art Crypt by Richard Feigen
- Landscape with Figures by Malcolm Goldstein
- Cambridge Diarist: All Too Human, pp. 38-40
- On the Cover: Illustration