The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
February 19, 2001 Issue - 16 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
The difference between literature and "Oprah", etc.
- TRB: Endgame, pp. 6-8
Why Jesse Jackson should leave public life
- Landslide, pp. 9-11
What Israelis did, and why they did it
- Cut and Run, pp. 12-13
Bush's strange, dishonest refusal to reduce the debt
- White House Watch: Taking Issue, p. 14
The Bush-McCain feud spreads
- On the Hill: Sweet Nothing, p. 15
What Bush charm offensive?
- Tel Aviv Dispatch: Pierced, pp. 16-19
Election Day on Sheinkin Street
- Brown and Out, pp. 20-22
How the utilities lost power in California
- The Jungle, pp. 23-27
With its flexible hours and employee-owners, Amazon.com was a worker's paradise. Then ...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: The Detective in Search of Himself (Review) , p. 28
The Pledge (2001 Film), by Sean Penn
- The Pledge (2001 Film) by Sean Penn
- On Art: Basic Instincts, pp. 29-33
A new exhibition reveals Manet's careless genius
[+] Indoctrinology (Review) , pp. 34-38
PC, M.D., by Sally Satel, M.D.
- PC, M.D. by Sally Satel, M.D.
[+] The Bench of Anxiety (Review) , pp. 39-42
Law Without Values, by Albert W. Alschuler
- Law Without Values by Albert W. Alschuler
[+] The Battle of Britain (Review) , pp. 43-48
Burying Caesar, by Graham Stewart
- Burying Caesar by Graham Stewart
- Outside the Slaughterhouse, p. 49
- New York Diarist: Fever, pp. 50-52