The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
September 6, 1999 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Readers join the battle over social phobia
- TRB: Bad Rap, pp. 6-7
Warren Beatty's warped worldview
- Campaign Journal: God Almighty, pp. 8-10
The latest anti-scandal strategy
- The Origins of Speciousness, p. 11
Creationism versus Darwinsim in Kansas
- Notebook, p. 12
A Liberal anti-Communist passes, the Holocaust Museum fails, etc.
- Relatively Speaking, p. 13
The creationist right's leftist tactics
- Moscow Dispatch: News Blackout, p. 14
Why it's impossible to know whether the Russian army is winning or losing its war in Da...
- Inexcusable, p. 15
Another football Hall of Famer has allegedly run afoul of Los Angeles's spousal abuse l...
- Web Hits, pp. 16-17
Thanks to the Internet and some readily available software, any upstart band can now di...
- Stealth Bombing, pp. 18-20
The Clinton administration's dogged policy of air strikes against Iraq is exacting a he...
- Colombia Dispatch: Guerrillas in the Mist, pp. 21-22
Almost half of South America's fourth-largest country is controlled by a guerrilla army...
- Field of Fewer Dreams, pp. 23-27
For all its phoniness, the Iowa straw poll did winnow the ranks of Republican president...
Books and the Arts
- On Films: Fade-Out?, pp. 28-29
- On Art: The Death of Pierrot, pp. 30-34
Does Aubrey Beardsley still scandalize?
[+] The Conundrumizer (Review) , pp. 35-40
Coleridge: Darker Reflections, 1804-1834, by Richard Holmes
- Coleridge: Darker Reflections, 1804-1834 by Richard Holmes
[+] At Unease (Review) , pp. 41-42
Don't: A Reader's Guide to the Military's Anti-Gay Policy, by Janet E. Halley
- Don't: A Reader's Guide to the Military's Anti-Gay Policy by Janet E. Halley
- On Adam, pp. 43-45
- Cape Cod Diarist: War of Words, pp. 46-48
- On the Cover: Illustration