The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
May 24, 1999 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Balkan fallacies, geezer verities, etc.
- TRB: Saving the World, pp. 6-7
The Third Way turns out to be a campaign for global morality---and its future depends o...
- White House Watch: Big Think, pp. 8-10
Al Gore, Bill Bradley, and George W. Bush need to answer one question if they want to b...
- Sympathy for the Demon, p. 11
The foreign policy mischief-making of Jesse Jackson
- Notebook, p. 12
Teddy Forstmann's friends, Tom Clancy's advice, etc.
- Macedonia Dispatch: The Exiled, p. 13
The cafe owners of Macedonia have embraced Pristina's exiled elite. But will their coun...
- San Francisco Dispatch: On the Waterfront, pp. 14-16
Should the City by the Bay honor Harry Bridges, a tireless advocate for San Francisco's...
- Insecurities, p. 17
Could securities regulators do more to stop repeat-offender stock swindlers?
- Bringing Down the House, pp. 18-20
In 1994, Republicans made a deal with term-limits firebrand Paul Jacob. Now it's coming...
- Secrets and Lies, p. 21
The Clinton administration has done a lot to fend off the Cox committee report on Chine...
- Busted China, pp. 22-23
Beijing's overvalued currency conceals the true weakness of the Chinese economy
- The Hero Myth, pp. 24-31
Americans have always searched for heroes in politics, and in the wake of Bill Clinton ...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Trial and (Some) Error (Review) , pp. 32-33
The Winslow Boy (1999 Film), by David Mamet
- The Winslow Boy (1999 Film) by David Mamet
[+] Reasons and Unreasons (Review) , p. 34
What We Owe to Each Other, by T.M. Scanlon
- What We Owe to Each Other by T.M. Scanlon
- Woodruff Court, pp. 35-37
[+] The Baby (Review) , pp. 38-41
Dreaming With His Eyes Open, by Patrick Marnham
- Dreaming With His Eyes Open by Patrick Marnham
[+] Cash and Citizenship (Review) , pp. 42-45
The Stakeholder Society, by Bruce Ackerman and Anne Alstott
- The Stakeholder Society by Bruce Ackerman and Anne Alstott
[+] Hello to All That (Review) , pp. 46-49
The American Century, by Harold Evans, Gail Buckland, and Kevin Baker
- The American Century by Harold Evans, Gail Buckland, and Kevin Baker
- Washington Diarist: Unprivate Property, pp. 50-52